Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bedroom odor

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 167
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes

Figure I would ask here for suggestions. DH has his own room. Each morning when he opens his bedroom room a terrible odor emits from his room. I change the sheets weekly, clean his room etc. Yesterday I did a total “spring cleaning” washed everything from sheets, pillows, blankets, bedspread, curtains and cleaned the carpet in there. Smelled great when I finished. This morning oh boy! I’m at a loss. Even the grandkids are now calling it Poppa’s stinky room. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I think you need to get him to the doctor to see if that's a sign of something going on.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

You may have to get graphic here. Is he incontinent? Could he be urinating or defecating somewhere that is not obvious? Those are the first things that come to mind. If not that--have you checked the vents? Are they opened? Could he have put something down the vents that you're not aware of? Sorry, but it does sounds like there's something going on that you've missed. Maybe a camera could help clarify? How frustrating.....

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Try a black light like they have to detect pet urine maybe? Although urine that is that concentrated to have a strong ammonia smell may be a sign that something is wrong physically. Is it another type odor? M1 had some good ideas. We had a couple posters recently whose LO was putting feces in odd places, and the worst smell I ever had was when a potato rolled behind a refrigerator and I did not notice.

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes

Thanks everyone. So far no incontinence. He’s always cold so he sleeps with an electric blanket a regular blanket and comforter. He complains of “cold sweats” I think he is too hot! Anyway I will ask the doctor. Thank you.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This is one of those "mysterious" things that sometimes makes us into detectives.

When your husband is out of his room, does he still have a bad odor or do his clothes have odor? If not, then it may be that he has hidden food or body elimination somewhere that has yet not been found. Have you looked underneath the bed and inside dresser drawers and inside the closet and items in the closet that he could have hidden items in?

Do you see and examine his entire body? Could he have a fungal or bacterial infection anywhere on his body including around/under his private area? If that would be so, it would seem that such a cause of odor would still be present when he is out of his room.

Something else that comes to mind; could there be a dead bird or rodent that has fallen down into a wall or is up in the attic space overhead?

If none of those things are a cause, then seeing the doctor is certainly warranted. Let us know how this goes and if you find the answer to the problem. Hopefully you will get to the source soon.

J.

• Unbreak4ble
    Unbreak4ble Member Posts: 33
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Any dental or breath issues?

• RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Electric Blanket.

I think you may have found the source. Try turning it on after cleaning up, and check after it gets up to temp.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more