Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Battle Buddy - Hospice Respite

I wanted to tell you all about my first attempt at using Respite provided by Hospice . It’s been a year and nine months on Hospice , and I never took advantage of this perk.

But after I had a cancer scare over Christmas , ( the lump was benign thank God) , I told myself I was going to take the respite offered by Hospice and do some self care.

This is how it works: Hospice arranges for your loved one to stay in a nursing home ( if they can find a bed)for 5 days. You pick a date, and It’s arranged by the social worker. They let you know a couple days in advance if there is a space available. They pick LO up in an ambulance and drop off.

It worked wonderfully for us. He was able to go into a Hospice In Patient unit near my house. I was then able to go to the beach over night , and then met my Son in Savannah ( I drove since I didn’t know whether there would be space for DH. ) I got to visit with DS , see the venue where he is to be married , and have Self Care time in the big hotel.

It did wonders for me, and was so great to get away. I was wondering if the driving by myself or staying by my self in a hotel would just make me miss DH . would it be weird but it wasn’t. I knew DH was getting good care.

So look into this. It’s free . With a little planning( ( hotel had to be one I could cancel if Hospice couldn’t find a spot for him etc.) you can get a much needed break. I’m going to do it again in May . Going to a engagement party for my son and meet his fiancés parents.

Comments

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,409
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so glad you got that time away.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What a great thing! I had no idea hospice had something like that. Nice looking couple. I hope you enjoy your time there.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

That’s great! I glad you were able to get away and spend some time with your son & his fiancé.

• Battlebuddy

I hadn’t been out of the state or taken a trip in years- before Covid. I’m caregiving for my husband by myself at home and it’s been Six years . It was actually hard to get myself to do this. I really hope this post inspires someone else to do it and get the break. I was surprised at how long it stayed with me when I got back.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

What a nice picture BB! I know you're proud of them and it helps to know that life goes on. Glad you got a much-deserved time away and can plan more.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks BB it's a reminder to all of us that life goes go on. I need to plan a trip this summer.

Stewart

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Thanks for posting that, BB. What a beautiful couple! Glad you were able to get a much needed break. How did your husband handle it?

• Battlebuddy

He was fine. I don’t think he knew the difference . Similar bed and the room he was in looked like a hotel or bed room

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more