Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Adult Diapers

Several months ago I called my wife’s insurance provider about incontinence supplies. They sent samples and when I saw them, it broke my heart to consider using them so I resisted for months. I couldn’t imagine how she might react. So I just kept waking up multiple times a night and checking on her. Sometimes she’d trip the motion detector so all in all I’d get up four or five times a night. Daytime was fairly good, I just had to be on my toes.

Finally I gave in and tried one out last night. I was surprised how well it worked. It opened up my mind to a whole new world. I’m so satisfied that I’m going to try one out on her tonight.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I just told my wife they were no different from the Kotex pads she used as a young woman

never had a issue

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

There are differences in quality between products, and what your insurer will cover may not always be the best quality in terms of absorbence etc. This is definitely an issue on Medicaid, I don't know about Medicare. The contract goes to the low bidder. Lower quality however means sometimes more frequent changes are needed, and there is usually also a quantity limit on what will be covered (on the order of 200 diapers/month). It's worth checking your policy for these issues.

• Unbreak4ble
    Unbreak4ble Member Posts: 33
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Actually, I was trying to be funny. We are presently going through this adjustment, however. I’ve waited until my wife isn’t really aware of the change. It seems like she is even more comfortable with them on. They seem to hug her in a comforting way.

So far I’m satisfied with Always and Prevail.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

We never used Prevail, but we did use Always. They worked for quite a while, but the time came when it just wasn't good enough. I went to parentiving.com, and found that they had several options that were better quality. I really recommend them because I think they are an excellent online business.

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

I felt the same way you did. I was horrified by the actual diapers, had to hide his underwear at first and we used the pullups. When he became bedridden the actual diapers were a godsend.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

Incontinence supplies are covered by insurance? What about Medicare orMedicare supplemental? I never heard of that. We spend a fortune on incontinence underwear, pads and bed pads. We use the pull ups underwear with a good quality pad. In addition, we use a pee pad under him on the bed at night, over a large fabric pad.

• Unbreak4ble

Oh, I start out by being flippant and I’m getting some good advice.

I must just be in the beginning stages of something that is going to evolve.

My wife has Medicaid/Medicare disability. It is our entire income. Yes it pays for the supplies.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

Dear Unbreakable, your Always and Prevail use made me smile - as caregivers we do Always Prevail!

Some of the Members here have liked the Abena brand of incontinent supplies.

Medicare does not cover any incontinence supplies.

Medicaid can cover incontinence supplies BUT coverage is different from state to state. Those states that did not accept Medicaid expanded coverage when it was offered by the government a few years back, mostly do not cover such supplies, so you would have to check your state's coverage.

In all states I have seen, Incontinence supplies by state for Medi-Cal or Medicaid must be for a permanent and not temporary condition and have a physician's specific order for such an item stating it is necessary and related to a condition. NPs and PAs can also write such a specific order. One site I have seen stated you can even have the physician, state the brand of the item and that cleansing clothes can also be written by the physician, NP, PA. We would have to see how that works re brands and cleansing cloths to see if that is accurate.

In California, the rules re incontinence supplies are very specific. In a NH, they require the patient's name must go on the supplies and states the supplies may not be used for any other patient other than the one they were prescribed for and when the patient discharges home or to another care arrangement, the diapers must be sent with the patient. Pretty specific. Here is a site that spells out Medi-Cal's rules; I would imagine many of these are also written into other state's requirements.

https://files.medi-cal.ca.gov/pubsdoco/publications/masters-mtp/part2/incont.pdf

If diapers or pullups do not absorb sufficiently, one can order Booster Pads to go inside of the item to augment its capabilities. In states that cover incontinence supplies, they sometimes also cover Booster Pads - but a doctor, NP, PA must order those too.

One thing for certain, these are very expensive items. If we shortchange for budget reasons we often find ourselves with very wet clothes, beds and furniture and a lot of frustration. Too bad there are not mandates for quality of such items. Of interest, for those of very low income, in some states there are, "diaper exchanges,." These exchanges were initially started for infant and children needs, however; many (but not all) have expanded to cover adult incontinent supplies. Might be worth checking around; each area and exchange are different in multiple ways.

J.

• Unbreak4ble

Oh boy, I think I’m learning that I’m pretty naive. I’ve been doing this alone. April 18th will be the 6th anniversary since the government recognized that my wife has FTD.

I’m going to set this information aside while things progress.

Thank you all for taking the time to bring me up to speed.

I’m in Texas and medications and supplies haven’t been a problem yet. She also has Superior Health and United Health Care if that makes a difference for anyone. United takes care of our electric bill. I don’t understand what I’m doing, even as I do it. I basically put one foot in front of the other.

• Jo C.

One foot in front of the other is a good way to go! What I did was to make a notebook and kept all the information I did not need at the time but probably would in the future some day. It really came in hand and saved me a lot of floundering.

J.

• Jo C.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia