Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hi… I’m New Here

My husband was diagnosed initially w FTD and now after neuro psych appts with EO Dementia - mild. He’s 52 and we are trying to live and learn.

We are working through long term disability process and permanent disability. Things are moving along. Slowly but surely.

I think the daily schedule is important and he does not necessarily agree. =)

Taking this one day at a time while juggling it all - husband, high schooler, my Dad lives with us, the dog and oh…working from home full time.

Thankful for: family, friends to talk to, a second driver in our house, this association, 5 hrs of good sleep.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sunshine, Welcome but sorry you needed to seek out our community. There are a lot of great people here with a wealth of experience they freely share. It is important that you get you legal & financial house in order early so seeing a Certificate Elder Law Attorney (CELA) should be one of things a the top of your to do list. One day at a time!

• me it's just me
    me it's just me Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment

Hi Sunshine, I'm new here, too, so I don't have any advice for you. I just want to say hello as one newbie to another. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis, especially at such a young age. The advice I've gotten so far centers around the financial and legal pieces of this. There are so many things to consider! Good luck to you, For me, it's helpful just to know we're not alone. Others have done this and are doing it right now. We can do it, too.

• Sunshine2024
    Sunshine2024 Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments 5 Likes

Thank you both. Yassss, we aren’t alone and are happy to hv a space to learn and ask questions. I had no idea where to start and I know a ELCA so we are set legally. Thankful for her!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum; there are in fact a large number of posters who deal with early onset, including one mother who posted yesterday about her daughter being diagnosed at age 58. I personally am dealing with older onset but hey, we're all in it together. FTD is tough if he has a behavioral variant, there are a number who deal with that too. Good luck, it is a supportive place.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sunshine, welcome to the forums, but sorry you need them. You will find a lot of good people here, willing to share their experiences, and give you support and understanding. We "get it", while most others don't. Early onset has to be extremely hard with working, kids in school, etc. Keep posting.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi sunshine- I'm new, too (husband w ftd). I just wanted to say I love that you are finding things to be grateful for. Some days it's hard to find but that appreciation and positivity go a long way. A good laugh helps me, too. Hang in there.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm dealing with the same situation, but kind of in reverse. We were told EO when first diagnosed 2.5 years ago, and now find out that the doctor has been thinking that it is most likely FTD but never bothered to discuss that with me/us. So many things specific to FTD seem to fit DH's symptoms, and yet there are a lot of Alzheimer's type situations we deal with too. Hang in there....its basically all we can do!

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi Sunshine2024 - Welcome home, sorry for the reason, but it's one big family here....we're all in this together. I love that you are focusing on as many positives as you can, that is super! Schedules only work for so much in my experience and things keep changing. About the time I think I've got things going along well, something will change. Kind of like Murphy's Law is always hanging around.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more