Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Global volume loss without lobar predominance. DH had CT Scan today, hallelujah!

ElaineD
ElaineD Member Posts: 206
Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear AlzFriends,

My DH made a 180 turn about getting tested and getting a diagnosis. This happened because I told him that there are now medications that improve memory to some extent. I was telling him about Citicoline, a supplement, plus memantine, a prescription drug.

Here is the link:

DH was excited to know that there are meds that improve what is called episodic memory, if only for a while. I bought the Citicoline immediately (OTC) and DH started taking it. DH also went to his PC, asked for a referral to neurology and for the CT Brain Scan.

He had the CT Brain Scan today which shows: global volume loss in his brain .

"People with brain atrophy, also called cerebral atrophy, lose brain cells (neurons), and connections between their brain cells and brain volume often decreases. This loss can lead to problems with thinking, memory and performing everyday tasks. The greater the loss, the more impairment someone has."

This all happened within ONE week. His appointment with a Duke Neurologist isn't until November, but I can wait, now that he has accepted that he has memory loss and hopes to get some treatment to help him.

How ever twice at dinner tonight DH told people that we have lived here four years, when it is actually only three years. He doesn't remember eating at a local restaurant, even tho' he has charge card use there. So we are hopeful, but DH is declining.

Now we have the "baseline" tests that I have been dreaming of for so long!

ElaineD

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Elaine, put that in the "win column".

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad to hear it Elaine, i know you're relieved and I hope the neurologist is helpful. Stunning that he can't get in until November though.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more