Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question for Group

LJCHR
LJCHR Member Posts: 193
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

DH and I married 14 years ago (I was widow and he widower). We have prenuptial agreements so we don't blend our assets. He retains his accounts, credit cards, etc in his name and I retain mine so we don't go into each others accounts.

My concern is his executive lobe is affected by his dementia and he constantly has difficulties with his computer and phone. He locks himself out of his accounts. He struggles in trying to get back in. I have helped him a few times but only when I've offered and I can reset his password and get his access back. He is either embarrassed or determined to do it himself so he will just leave the account locked rather than ask for my help.

I struggle with offering to help, I don't want to demoralize him.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

My two cents: let him leave the account locked, or if he has children, let them know what is happening. Who has financial and medical POA?

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

His children have financial responsibility thru Will and his children and I have medical POA.

I like your idea. It takes one less responsibility off of me. Thanks you for your help.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I have never heard of having financial responsibility through a will. Do you mean a trust? Absolutely let his children know, if he is having trouble getting into accounts he is also probably having trouble making good decisions. He needs his money for his care.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I would urge you to have a meeting with a CELA.

If there's a trust or his children are financial POAs, I would reach out to that person to manage the financial piece. A pre-nup agreement probably doesn't supersede your financial responsibility in a marriage for care. If his children control his money, would they be willing to provide funding for in-home caregivers or a MCF down the line?

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney