Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

White Crane Questions about buying a transport chair

I have been thinking about buying a transport chair for my DH but am not sure I would use it very often. I'm a small person, about 90 lbs. He weighs about 200 lbs. I'm wondering if I got a transport chair, first of all, could I push him easily and second, would I really use it much. Have any of you purchased one? If so, what kind and did you use it?It might be nice to have it if I wanted to go to the mall and walk.

Comments

• Sweetwater
    Sweetwater Member Posts: 7
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

I found a transport chair to be a very useful purchase. I forget now what kind it was, but it folded up, was light and easy to lift into the back of my car. I, too, am a small person and my LO was about 180 lbs. It made getting him to appointments, etc. much easier.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you, Sweetwater!

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

I had a transport chair for the house cause it would go through doorways easily and fit in the bathroom. It was so helpful and necessary. All four wheels are small so it was a little tedious using it outside on the sidewalk. We got a larger chair for walks and outings that was more sturdy for going up sidewalk curbs etc… and more comfortable to sit in for longer periods. I just had to get outside and walk so the regular chair was great for that but it didn’t fit through doorways in the house.

You may be able to find a good used one. Our transport chair was a used one and worked fine.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I have a friend who bought a transport chair for her husband. He doesn't have dementia, but is limited in his ability to walk because of heart and lung issues at times. She's a healthy woman who routinely puts in over 10K steps a day, but pushing her 230lb DH can be hard at times. He had a doctor's appointment on the campus of a large suburban medical center and pushing him in from the handicapped parking area winded her; indoors was easier. She got hers at Costco for just over $100.

My dad was about 150lb when we got his chair. We didn't use it often but it was useful for his many doctor's appointments. His PCP wrote a prescription for it and got it from a group that refurbishes DMEs to make them available for free or for a small donation. I had no problem with the chair, but my 80 year old mom struggled with it.

HB

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I didn't get a transport chair, but I found a small adult wheelchair at Goodwill. I paid $20.00 for it, and although it was an older chair, it was much like new. It also fit through all the doorways. We live next to a bike trail, and I used to take my wife for walks there. She loved it. If you might be interested in a wheelchair, places like Goodwill have them, but they don't stay there long before someone buys them. You could always call to inquire about it. It's possible you might find a transport chair there too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more