Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thinking about all you caregiving partners

well really thinking about all of us but caring for a spouse or partner is another kind of warrior

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Made me cry, it doesn't take much right now. It is a year today that my partner went from the hosptial to MC. It has not gotten any easier. I miss her every minute of every day. We were so fortunate to have been wonderfully happy together.

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes

Yes got me too.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

i identify, with tears. My husband sits anxiously quiet and I know he wants to ask a thousand questions, but just simply doesn’t know how to frame them. He doesn’t want to share he’s forgotten so much. Heart breaking disease.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I teared up watching this, too. I like to think letting those tears out a little at a time helps US remember how things used to be without getting so grief stricken we can't function. Thanks for sharing this.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I saw much of my life there. I have about 15 years of old movies starting when we were building our family. Now I'm going to stream them to the TV. Not really sure I should do that though. Thanks for the link.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think all of us of a certain age can identify with those old 8 mm home movies. I remember the projector, the screen, the fun of getting them back from the developer on their little individual reels. The smell of the hot lights. My mother had some transferred to a VCR tape at one point, but that is now also obsolete. The analogy of those fading technologies to the fading memories is potent. I wonder what the current generation will do when they don't have boxes and boxes of old photographs to look through; those remain some of my most cherished family heirlooms. No hard copies any more.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I wonder whether the artist’s father had dementia. Beautiful song and video.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

“(Carll shares his own personal experience with Alzheimer’s dementia, and one so many can relate to. “I was 14 years old and sitting in the passenger seat of my grandfather’s truck in Waco, TX, the town he had lived in for most of his life. He turned to me at a stoplight and asked me where we were. He looked scared. I know I was. I’ve thought a lot since then about what it must feel like to lose the thread of your own story. This song is for the people who’ve experienced what my grandfather did, those that are experiencing it currently, and for those who serve as their witnesses and caregivers.”)”

From https://alleyesmedia.com/hayes-carll-addresses-alzheimers-dementia-in-the-moving-new-video-for-help-me-remember/

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you M&M for sharing. I too had shed tears watching. The military part got to me. Sometimes when looking back at pictures and I show dh some of his pictures from Viet Nam he will say that’s me! About the only pictures he recognizes. Breaks my heart. This is a very cruel disease. God bless each and everyone dealing with this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more