Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tough getting my head around things

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 167
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes

Oh my! Why am I posting so much negative things the past few days? Been a turning point for me I guess. Day didn’t start out so well, awake since 3 am DH grumpy as usual. Finally ventured out with him to do some errands and visit the grands for a few. Get home and he starts complaining about our neighbor dumping dirty water in our driveway. I said oh that’s probably what I did when I washed the car yesterday! OMG ! Cursing yelling at me in the driveway as my neighbor is coming home! Tried to cover it up so hope she didn’t hear. Decided to make a dinner he loves to calm things down. Attitude continued. He says I tell him he’s always wrong etc. I know where the anger is coming from but realizing I truly need to just agree with him no matter what! It’s so hard. I mess up all the time!

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

JC5, I'm going through similar. It's so hard not to allow the yelling and screaming to be personal. My DH has LBD, so the fluctuations are quite scary and unpredictable. When he screamed into my ears in the middle of the night, it nearly gave me a heart attack being jolted awake that way. I thought the neighbors might have called the cops on us. It lasted about a minute, then he started snoring. Two minutes later, he resumed the yelling. Repeated for 2 hrs until he fell into a longer asleep. Restarted around 4am... I thought I was going to kill one of us last night.

• TyroneSlothrop
    TyroneSlothrop Member Posts: 51
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

JC5: I know where you’re coming from! After about 4 years since MCI diagnosis, my DW is developing new personality traits, which include suspicion, resentment, and fight-picking. Of course it isn’t her; but in my weak moments (increasingly frequent), I take the bait. And regret it instantly. There’s no way other than apology, acceptance of the responsibility for whatever is wrong, and a change of subject or scene.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more