Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Simpler discussion format

Hello everyone. I found a simpler disussion format at Mayo Clinic: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/caregivers-dementia/

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks, Bill. I'll check it out.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Me too Bill, appreciate it a lot.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Thank you Bill. I did a quick check and it looks interesting. I will look at it in more depth later. It does look pretty simple. Thank you again.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited April 2023

I have found the Mayo Clinic forum easy to navigate. Due to my lack of creativity, I kept my same screen name, so you may recognize me over there.

Full disclosure, the Mayo Clinic site has badges also. I am delighted to report that the badges are NOT whimsical. The Mayo Clinic badges appear to be well thought out and are neither juvenile or insulting to me.

Here's a BIG bonus, the Mayo Clinic has discussion boards for other health issues. This is beneficial to me because my dad was recently diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) and I can learn more about it too!!

• tgeno
    tgeno Member Posts: 34
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

Thanks. I registered with them. I'll also continue to use ALZConnect. I need all the resources I can. The Mayo Clinic Dementia Hub Blog also looks interesting.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

That site is really easy to use. Thanks for the info.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you Bill!! Sure need something easier than what they have done to this site!!

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I still visit both, not really an either or situation. I found the site to be a whole bunch of new people with the same problems we have. Kinda like going to an AA meeting in another city. All new faces with the same problems in a different place. I don't think we can eliminate the facebookization of discussion groups. Some are just less offensive about it. If I find any more sites I will gladly share them.

• M1

Bill when i looked briefly, it seemed like their caregivers forum was more general and was not dementia specific, is that correct? Or is there one for dementia caregivers specifically that I might have missed?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Bill, great find. Thank you so much for posting this. Much more professional but still friendly looking without the Gamification and goofy cakes and badges. Nice sized fonts and very easy to read. I registered but haven’t had a chance to post yet. I like what I see so far.

M1, there is both a general Caregivers forum there and a Caregivers Dementia Discussions forum.

• Merry42
    Merry42 Member Posts: 2
    Third Anniversary First Comment

Thanks - I will check it out too. I am not a fan of the new format here. Way too many extraneous features.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I checked it out and actually signed up. It is simple. Seems less like a community though. Felt more like I was googling a question for an answer than getting help from people in the trenches. I have no problem ignoring all the fluff that has been added here. Just focus on what I need to do to carry on as I always have here. That has worked well for me. I really enjoy the community atmosphere here among participants. There are things I really like about the new format here photos, no new posts have dropped, getting on much quicker, can stop posting and save draft to come back to later. Did find typing my post in frustrating, lot of glitches. Have found work arounds that work for me and much less frustrating now. Just some thoughts. We each like different things. What attracted me here will probably keep me here.

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Well, we've got choices now, I looked at the Mayo Clinic site, joined, will go back and forth I guess. BTW - kept the same name. The only other person from here that I've seen there so far is LadyTexan. Has anyone else signed up and what names are you using? It would make things easier for all if we keep the same names. Just sayin'.

• Ed1937

I looked at it briefly. My first thought was that it was a caregiver group for everything, much like M1 said. But I did find there are many other forums, including one geared to dementia. I think I'll sign up, but not sure how active I'll be there. I'm not leaving this site for a while. I'll use the same username on that site too.

• M1

I signed up, but there was another M1 already. Now I already don't reemember what I signed up with- (uh oh) but I haven't posted anything yet. Need to find the dementia-specfici forum, thanks for the directions.

• Ed1937

M1, follow the link, then look towards the top of the page for Support Groups. Scroll down a little, and you will find the dementia forum. There doesn't seem to be a lot of recent activity there.

• M1

thanks Ed, will do.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I signed up but haven’t posted yet. I used my same name. M1, you could use something similar so we know it’s you. I see a couple others posting there already. I think it will have that community feeling once there are more of us posting. I’ll probably post in both places for a while.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I signed up as well but didn't write anything. I didn't want to waste anyone's time with a testing 123 message. My user name is JustBill123. I can't believe there is another JustBill out there. Maybe we could argue and everyone will think I am arguing with myself. After sharing my wife's world 24/7 I am always questioning my own behavior and sanity. I talk to myself a lot, but having an online argument with myself would take it to another level.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you for posting this link, Bill. I like that there are variety of message boards.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney