Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to tell my husband he can't work on cars anymore

Hy husband is in the moderate stage and still thinks he can work on cars. This results in taking apart the car and can't put it back together, making it unable to drive to the shop. He gets angry when I tell him I'd rather pay someone. How do I get him to let go?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

You'll need to use fiblets and work behind his back.

Instead of letting him know the car needs work or servicing, arrange to have it done without him. If it'll be more than a few hours, say the vehicle has been recalled and must be serviced by the dealership to maintain the warranty.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Tough one! I like the above two suggestions. Is he aware he has Alzheimers? If so, have a heart to heart talk? Maybe he can still wash, vacuum, gas car, but give him gift certificates for the maintenance? Being retired from car maintenance and lunching out while someone else gets their hands dirty? He’s earned it!

• ShirleyBo
    ShirleyBo Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    We had to get rid of his blazer. It was too tempting. Example he thought the battrry died and he put the charher on. But pluged the charger into our a house while it was also on the battery. Threw out all breakers. Had to get an electrician it permanently damage both the car batter and 2 breakers. I also have to keep my car locked or he will
    pack it up with food cloths tools.
    Speaking of tools he worked with expensive precision tools. Plus the general house type tools. PLUS when his father died he took all those tools. And same with my father. But he was brinking them in the house hiding them. He is totally paranoid and thinks someone is in the house stealing stuff
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This may or may not work. When it was time for my wife to quit cooking, I told her she cooked enough meals for us over the years. Now it was time for someone else to do the cooking, while she rested. That worked pretty well for us.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more