Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

by Ed - Diagnosis and depression

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Just wondering how many of your LOs developed depression after finding out about the diagnosis.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

tough to say Ed, but I think it's a very good question. My partner had a few bouts of depression here and there over the years but I don't think I could pinpoint that any were related to her diagnosis, because the anosognosia was so prominent that most of the time she didn't perceive her deficits (still doesn't). We put her back on Wellbutrin after she lost a sister to whom she was quite close and left her on it, it was then switched to Zoloft when she was hospitalized because we felt it might help more with anxiety than Wellbutrin did. She has been withdrawing in her current memory care, but I think it's so situational that I'm not inclined to make a medication change. I'll be interested to see what others say.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ed: since depression symptoms can mimic those of dementia, some providers start patients who are undergoing evaluation for dementia on an antidepressant, with the hope that there may be a response. The tools we use to diagnose depression may be invalid once dementia has set in. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt, and start/keep these patients on an antidepressant, usually Celexa or Lexapro. Since these meds are safe and effective, there is little downside to using them. If there is a good response, wonderful!

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

My husband, possessing anosognosia, displayed increasing depression/anxiety paralleling the loss of his executive reasoning skills and understanding. On our case depression/anxiety was hand in hand with Alzheimer’s Disease.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

My father had long-standing depression (20+ years on Prozac) as a result of my sister's death. I believe his alcohol use was a form of self-medication; previous to her illness he'd been a social drinker.

By the time he was officially diagnosed-- which was shared with him by his neurologists-- he was unable to truly appreciate what he was being told so I don't think this impacted his mood. Dad's tentative diagnosis was delivered bedside at the hospital on his 60th wedding anniversary. The doctor explained that he had Alzheimer's and that while it was "a terminal illness, some people can live 10-15 years with it". Dad looked up at the man and said "That's the best thing I've heard all day".

That said, the lifestyle changes made in the wake of dad's official diagnosis-- selling both his homes, moving my parents nearer me, not being allowed to drive or handle finances-- did upset him. Like many men with depression, his primary symptom was anger initially. As the disease progressed, we saw much more anxiety than straight up depression.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I don't think Peggy has ever truly gone into a depressive state. When she was first diagnosed, she was quite upset (and for good reason!), but it was more about "how did this happen?" "why did this happen?" "am I a bad person?" - that kind of stuff. She was trying to understand her situation.

To this day, when she has clear moments, she asks me how she got Alzheimer's. Then there are days when she thinks she's just fine and there's nothing wrong with her. There are also days when she's glad she's in memory care and she knows why she's there. I don't always know which Peggy I'm going to get day to day, but she's never been depressed. Anxiety, for sure, but not depression.

With Peggy, so long as she knows that we're all looking out for her, she's good (ish). Weird how strong that is, but so far it's been the key to getting her to take medications, cooperate with doctors and memory care staff, etc.

I wonder how much longer that key is going to work.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

I fell into a deep depression when I was told by a geriatrician, "you have to accept that you have dementia!" I was depressed because I feared I was going to die soon, and I didn't believe I was ready to leave this earth quite yet. I came out of the depression after support from the members here and from making significant decisions. As it turns out, I do not have Alzheimer's Disease, but I am still struggling with memory loss and impaired executive functions. I have a lot of issues and other than from the members of these message boards, I have no family or other support. I do fall into depressions, but I work hard to bring myself out.

Iris

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

My DW (moderate stage) has never shown signs of depression (dx in 2022 but symptoms since 2018 or earlier). She still laughs at my jokes, even the (probably inappropriate) ones that make light of our circumstances living here in dementia land. She’s always been a “trooper”, never complained, not one to give up even in challenging situations, showed me the way many times. That being said, recently she rubs her legs and arms a lot for no apparent reason. Could this be signs of anxiety that she is experiencing? Who knows? She continues to march on, doing her best. I am lucky.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Mom and step-dad both seem to have had depression for a while. Hers is being treated, his is not - yet. I don’t think their depression has anything to do with being told the diagnosis. First, it predates being told the diagnosis. Second, neither seems to realize they have been diagnosed with dementia. Both have heard the diagnosis direct from the doctor, but they don’t seem to register it. It’s not that they aren’t living in our reality, they are- they just don’t seem to comprehend the word applies to them. One time mom read the words Alzheimer’s and dementia on the door of the clinic, but she didn’t ask if that’s why she was there.

I do think they are depressed mostly about their age, physical health, their living situation ( AL), and their long standing volatile marriage

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more