Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early onset Alzheimers

Hi I am VERY NEW to all of this and I am confused. I was diagnosed with Early onset Alzheimers with variation a month before my 54 birthday. I am now 55 my memory is getting worse and harder to do my job. I am looking into disability retirement through my work. It is also hard to understand alot of things at one time. Sorry not asking for a pity party i just know what to do

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

Troy, I'm sorry. Keep posting here, and you will find a lot of support and understanding.

I should have asked if you applied for Social Security Disability. If not, that's something you need to do, and you should have no problem being approved with the diagnosis.

• TroyH9
    TroyH9 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment First Anniversary

Thanks for responding and your great advice

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Troy. With a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease, you can add Compassionate Allowance to your Social Security Disability Insurance application. This will fast-track your application.

Some PWDs (persons with dementia) consult a lawyer to help with the application, which can be a bit complex.

If you are having difficulty at work right now, you might consider taking short term sick leave. This usually requires only a doctor's note, whereas applying for SSDI requires a lot of documentation and may take some time.

You should consult a lawyer or someone knowledgeable about sick leave and disability leave before you make a move.

Do you have a family member or anyone trustworthy to help you?

Keep coming back and give us an update. I am also a patient with memory loss. I had to take the same steps.

Iris

• TroyH9
    TroyH9 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment First Anniversary

Thanks for making me feel better and giving me great advice. I pray that you are doing well

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more