Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

catheter

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Will a catheter make my life easier or harder? Funny, that question is all about me.

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Any time a foreign body is inserted in that area, you are risking introduction of bacteria that can be extremely hard to eliminate. I would never have such a thing unless it was a matter of life + death

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Lgw, an indwelling urinary catheter has its pluses and sometimes issues. Since your husband is at a terminal state and his skin is breaking down and he has three decubiti, this may well help with that and also by not having to frequently move him again and again to change diapers and bedding, that too will also help his skin by not having dragging or shearing from the care and fabrics.

Yes; there can be a higher risk of getting a UTI, however; your husband is at the terminal state and this is not the biggest issue. The RN will be watching for any difficulties and making adjustments as necessary. He probably, at this stage, will not have a large urinary output, but you will need to check the urine container to ensure it is emptied as necessary.

Sometimes a person will try to pull out a catheter, but this does not happen with all persons. You will learn as the process begins. Remember, this is not a permanent catheter if major problems occur; it can always be removed.

Personally, in light of the issues at hand, it may be a good idea to at least try to see if it is helpful for maintaining his skin and comfort as well as helping your back from having to lift and shift so often due to incontinence.

Let us know how it is going, we will surely be thinking of you.

J.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

hello,

I agree with Jo C. Unfortunately i have experience with these issues and the catheter will actually make your loved one more comfortable and give his skin a break.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear LGW,

Please don't feel badly because you are thinking of how you can manage the situation and maybe make it easier on yourself. If we don't take care of ourselves, we cannot take care of our loved ones. I hope all goes well with the catheter for you and your DH.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Somehow I got the idea that the catheter was actually for YOUR body…ignore my reply.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My brother had prostate cancer, and had a catheter for a week or two. He told me it was really bothersome to him, and he couldn't wait to get it out. I had a hip replacement, and had a catheter for 2 or 3 days. I thought it was heaven. No problem whatsoever. There is nothing wrong with a post being about you.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Ask your caregiver about putting a condom catheter on him. If he pulls it off it won’t hurt and it will keep him clean and dry. If you have them place an in dwelling catheter in him there can be trauma if he pulls it out. The bleeding can cause clots that stop urine from flowing out. I think a condominium cath would be the best thing to try first.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Condom catheter?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Lgw, is he in pain? That's the relevant question. If you think it will make him more comfortable, try it. If he's not in distress, it probably doesn't matter.

• Ed1937

Iris, I think a condom catheter goes on much like a condom. It does not penetrate. I've heard of them, but never had one.

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

When my DH was bedbound, hospice recommended a catheter. At first, I had to watch him not try to pull it out but he no longer tried after a while. Before the catheter, his cotton t-shirt, bedding, etc. would be drenched with urine when he woke up. Yes, the catheter was 'for me' but for us, it was the right move. I no longer had 7 loads+ of bedding, etc. per day to wash. Hospice CPAs and RN (and I) watched for any infections, which he had. DH was given Lorezapan (?) before the insertion so that helped. Good decision for us.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ed: Iris was commenting on autocorrect changing condom to condominium 🤔

• Ed1937
    edited April 2023

Oh! 😀

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I had a chuckle at the auto corrected, "condominium" too.

Others may have had different experiences; in the course of my work as an RN, I did have patients who had condom catheters. The biggest issue was their not staying in place. In some patients who had cognitive issues, the condom cath could be an annoyance not tolerated.

Worth a try to see if the cath helps with the situation; as said, it can always be removed but if it helps his skin and avoids friction on the skin from frequent moving for change needs which helps to avoid breakdown, and saves your back and energy, then it may be a positive in the plan of care.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney