Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Progress

Another Day
Another Day Member Posts: 127
100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Overall that does sound like progress AD. I would get a bolt latch or safety chain for the inside of your bedroom door, are you comfortable installing such a thing yourself? Shouldn't be hard. If not, get one of your neighbors to do it while you take your DH out. If you put it above eye level, he may never notice it.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

A temporary solution might be a portable door lock. People use them for security when at a hotel. Just type "portable door lock for travel" into the Amazon search box.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It might help if you have a neighbor or someone else to take a look at it. It's hard to tell you what needs to be done without actually seeing it. It might be a simple matter of increasing the size of the hole in the strike plate, but again, we can't see it. If you have a trusted neighbor or friend, they will likely look at it, and fix it for you. Probably a simple job.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I have a similar problem with a door. When it doesn't latch, I will pull up on the handle as I close it and that realigns the latch with the plate. You might try that until you can get someone to help you with a less fiddly fix.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I used a very low tech method to lock the door when staying at a hotel with flimsy latches/locks. Stick the back of a chair, tilted, into the door handle. Learned it watching tv/movie.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

We live in a house that settles and unsettles with the seasons and the amount of rain. All of the suggestions everyone has given would work. Many years ago, before dementia, we had a good handyman who did “door stuff” come in and fix our large and heavy front door and 2 interior doors that wouldn’t lock. The fix has lasted over 15 years. It didn’t take him long to fix it although he had to rehang the front door. I don’t recall it being very expensive.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Another Day,

Whatever you do, don't have him go through back surgery as a remedy. Having gone through 2 surgeries myself and then having to care for my DH for 3 eye surgeries and a total knee replacement, the level of noncompliance and the difficult recovery will be a nightmare and may cause a worse situation. In addition, I was later told that anesthesia causes dementia to worsen.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more