Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

"Good Luck"

If there is one phrase that I have come to hate is "Good Luck". I hear this all the time from people who don't have a clue as to what it is like to care for someone with dementia on a daily basis. Nobody understands until you have actually had to deal with this on a daily basis. They don't know what it is like witnessing the deterioration of the mind of someone you love, getting up at night to take them to the bathroom or fetch the urinal because they can no longer do it themselves, putting up with someone being verbally abusive on a daily basis, and someone acting violently. But the only thing they say is "good luck".

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I agree that you have to wear the shoes of a caregiver to truly understand. People say a lot of things that can be discomforting, but they mean well. And that's what we have to focus on. For the most part it's nothing but small talk.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

I agree, and more recently it's acquired a snarky connotation. I don't like it at all. Say nothing!

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I agree with mrl. “Good luck” has taken on a snarky connotation. It’s one of the worst things I would want to hear in relation to my husband’s condition. The best? “What can I do to help?”

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

You have given me for thought judy, i tend to say this in my posts and certainly never meant to be snarky or offend. I think i mean it in Victoria s context. But as i said, I'll think about it now.

• Gthoma
    Gthoma Member Posts: 33
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 2023

I agree it leaves a snarky impression.

I like to think it's possible the person just doesn't know what to say or how. Certainly, I've said things that didn't come out the way I intended. I totally agree "How can I help?" would be perfect. But then there's the fear you might ask me to help in a way I'm unable. One relative offered to come stay with my LO if I need a break and that was just ideal.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Just as an alternative thought, perhaps a person might say, "I'm here to listen and I'll help when I can." I know I am deeply indebted to those who have simply paid me the courtesy of listening to my account of how things are going.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My biggest pet peeve is the greeting "Hi how you doing". Do they really want to know. I've gotten to the point that when someone says that to me, I looks straight at them and say "tired and stressed".

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

The phrase 'good luck' can take on many meanings. I tend to think when someone whom hasn't dealt with a person with ALZ says it, its a tongue in cheek thing. They feel they have to say something, so that's what they say. Personally I'd rather they say nothing.

I'm certain others can relate, depending upon my caregiving mood, as to how I respond. Or if I even respond. I've been known to say "please just pray for us" or "I'm doing everything I can to do my best. Luck has nothing to do with it." One response that I said before I even knew what I was saying "good luck? When you can juggle water while doing 12 other things we'll talk." (In context this person is one of those whom is an acquaintance at best. But she always knows 'best' about everything. You know the type.)

I'm certain that I've used it on the message board. I only meant I hope that situation goes well. I certainly never meant it to be a snarky. Please forgive me if I've ever offended anyone.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney