Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Information on Methylene Blue

A good friend who spends a lot of time looking at alternate medications sent me this link about this product. I don't know a thing about it, but I thought this forum may have some information on it. Any comments are welcome!

Here's what she sent:

Francisco Gonzales-Lima, I believe from Univ of Texas Austin, has a lot of information on Methylene Blue “MB”. I think this article can lead to research as it might have references within the article.

I have been taking the MB liquid drops but I am going to look into the powder form. MB stains counter tops and teeth. I take it before I brush my teeth but would prefer to do the capsules (one needs to place powder in the capsules which is a lot of work). If it is something you feel might be good for your wife I’m guessing the liquid might be a struggle with her but no hurt in trying. A bottle of 1% MB is very inexpensive.

https://deeprootsathome.com/methylene-blue-memory-mood-parkinsons-adhd/

Comments

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Ronk246, anything recommended by someone who got kicked off facebook and a product advertisement that says Big Pharma is hiding it from you, I will look at with a very wary eye. I will wait until they finish at least the phase 2 trials that Marta mentioned. If you are taking something that is not formulated for human consumption, with no idea of dosage and side effects, that is really not good. We have someone on the board who keeps up with all the smaller research projects, perhaps he will respond.

• Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Methylene blue has been studied for awhile for Alzheimer's disease. The results have been mixed.

https://www.alzforum.org/therapeutics/lmtm

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Freedom of speech is not available here, why? I posted a comment earlier and it is now gone. Why? I will have to seriously reconsider whether or not to continue on this forum.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Give it a little time to see if it reappears. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but it finally appeared again.

• Lane Simonian

I don't remember the details of your post, Another Day, but it is possible that the moderator saw it as a solicitation for a specific product. I have written about the use of natural products to treat Alzheimer's disease on several different websites. Either in short-order or long-order, the moderator or moderators have banned me from the sites. This is one of the few forums that has almost never removed my posts. That is a backwards way of trying to give you some encouragement to stick around.

• Ronk246
    Ronk246 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I was notified that something was deleted from this discussion because it referenced a product for sale, which I have no objection to.

When I asked my friend why she was taking it, this was her response:

"The short answer is:

It attacks viruses 

It improves cognition and memory 

Fights against depression 

Improves overall health

It also improves overall health of your mitochondria."

I wrote back to ask her what are my mitochondria and where are they?

• Lane Simonian

Thank you for letting us know, Ronk. That is consistent with Alzconnected past policies.

Mitochonria are located within cells. They are described as the powerhouse (energy center) of cells. When they are damaged as is the case with Alzheimer's disease, cells (such as neurons) can die.

Methylene blue may help limit damage to the mitochondria.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5826781/

One of the ways it does so is by limiting the formation of inducible nitric oxide which combines with superoxide anions to form a very damaging nitro-oxidant called peroxynitrite. In mice, inhibiting inducible nitric oxide may be enough to treat an Alzheimer's-like disease, but may have less effect on humans.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16260491/

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney