Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Month living near his facility concludes tomorrow

Nowhere
Nowhere Member Posts: 272
Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

What I’ve learned:

A. My visits bring him smiles.

B. I am smiling more interacting with him and getting to know his peers better.,

C. Experiencing less anxiety and depression knowing how he is physically, mentally, socially, emotionally, And in assisting him and his peers.

D. Quiet residents (especially those in wheel chairs) are unengaged for hours on end.

E. Being a retired teacher, I especially enjoy and value resident fortitude in the face of their cognitive challenges.

F. I see creativity in each individual.

G. He gives me a hug goodbye even at the locked facility door and says, “Don’t worry- I’m not going to push through”! (Truthfully I’d feel more assured not knowing this is what he’s thinking).

What I’m going to do next:

1. I listed my home for sale this past week. It’s an active market. Four showings today!
  2. Have committed to moving near him so I can visit whenever.
  3. Have spoken to Indianapolis Area for Aging and am actively exploring moving him, and placing him and my new home in the same town as our daughter. Many factors need to come together for this to happen and it’s looking feasible! Ed, thanks for your encouragement last year!

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Nowhere that is great on every level especially your visits being so good. I moved 1 month ago yesterday, I still have another trip to the storage unit to get every thing to the new house. I am much closer and I am getting visits from all the folks in the churches I used to serve. I am still dealing with a little depression at times. Making all those decisions on dw behalf was hard. Leaving our home of 30 years. But I press forward, I am greatful for the care dw gets. I have some sense of security for the financial part and have started the process of trying to grow the proceeds of our home sale. I have a long way to go before I will be settled in my new home, just started the second address change. That's a great picture of you both and your smile speaks volumes. Thank you for your post and may everything go smooth and be prosperous.

Stewart

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Nowhere. That is wonderful. I hope you continue to feel peace.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

That's a really nice update and picture. You did a nice job explaining one of the upsides to placement- the ability to step back into the role of wife.

Good luck with the sale and move. If you're in a chain facility, they may have a sister facility near your daughter and assist with the transfer assuming it is of comparable quality.

HB

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That's more great news! It seems like we are getting a little more of that lately, and it's always refreshing to hear. I'm glad for both of you.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I too am pleased for you Nowhere--you've been through a long hard time. Great picture. Hope it will all fall into place for you. At least you can visit now, that's got to make such, such a difference.

So hard to hold on through the very hard times, but things do shift. Let's hope that message makes it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more