Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update on "Just Placed my Spouse in Memory Care"

RickM
RickM Member Posts: 115
Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

I had a rough day yesterday. Moved DW yesterday for our "3 week trial". Today I'm walking to her new home and I get a text message: "what time are you coming today". I wasn't sure she could still text legibly. I got there and she was in her room dressed well, seemed fine, not stressed, and happy to see me, like nothing had happened. I couldn't believe it. Someone commented that placing a LO in MC is often harder on the caregiver than the LO. I guess I'm starting to believe that. We spent a few hours sitting outside, enjoying a beautiful day, and listening to her favorite songs from Neil Young.

Of course this varies for all of us. I think that hanging out here listening to all of your experiences has really helped me. It's different for all of us but we can use the information to help us figure out what to do AND understand that it is a difficult decision.

I think I may have lucked out with my timing. She was starting to have mobility issues in our house with stairs, nighttime blowouts, increased confusion. Thankfully, she's still who she was when I met her, a very sweet gal who is also very tough, partners till the end, no matter what we encounter.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That's great, Rick. Glad for you both.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Rick I am so, so glad. Hope it continues to be smooth. Your love is self-evident. The empty house takes a lot of getting used to, but if you know she is well cared for, it will be easier. It already is for me, after just 24 hours in our new place (that's another thread).

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So happy for you that the transition was smooth. I pray it stays that way! I think you made the right decision

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more