Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello from McCott

McCott
McCott Member Posts: 35
Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments

I have not posted in a long time -- my husband died in Sept 2020 seven years after his diagnosis, and I wanted to forget that Alzheimer's ever existed.

I also felt guilty that I had dealt with ALZ for only seven years, while people here had been doing it for so much longer.

Someone here thought I had a cancer diagnosis, but that is not true. I do have MGUS, which is a preliminary step to multiple myeloma, but they said it would take about 20 years to get there. I'm in my mid-70's so not a live issue.

My new real problem is rheumatoid arthritis which is causing me extreme fatigue. I'm in the early phase of doctor hunting and getting appts here in Seattle takes a month or more.

I realized at some point that I missed this forum, so I thought I would say hello.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello...it is good to see your name again. I have thought of you often. Stay, please.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi stranger! I thought about sending you a PM, but remembered that you said you didn't want anything to do with dementia anymore.

Sorry you're dealing with rheumatoid arthritis. I know that can't be fun either. I hope you find some help with that soon.

Please stop by whenever you get a chance. You've been missed.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello McCott, we haven't overlapped very much but i recognize your name. So sorry about the rheumatoid--my partner has had it for years and it can certainly be a bear. The newer drugs seem to help a lot, though--there's been a ton of progress, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get with a good rheumatologist quickly.

I have a son in Seattle, I think he'll be a west coaster for life as far as I can tell. At least the Seattle area is rich in medical resources.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello McCott, It has been a long time and I'm actually happy to see a post from you. Our journeys were of similar length, my DW lasted 7 yeras as well. Some place on my computer I have one of your posts that really resonated with me. I was among those that thought you had cancer, glad you did not.

I lived in Seattle for a year while I was stationed at the Boeing Co for the USAF. While I love the fish market I found the weather just too dark and rainy.

I'm glad you are still arouind, thank you for posting! Rick

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hello McCott, It brought a smile to my face to your name at the top off this morning post. I always enjoyed your post & sense of humor. Sorry to hear of your recent medical challenges but glad you check back in here.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

McCott,

Hello! I too lost my DH in July 2020 and really didn't think I'd be back, but I'm still checking in daily-Go figure! Nice to hear from you again. I wish you were feeling better.

Sincerely, Michele

• McCott

I haven't even managed to clean out his closet. Part of it is laziness, but another part is I just want him to still be here. He was a great person, and my life has shriveled without him.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi McCott, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is. Also sorry you're dealing with health issues now. It's good to see your name again on the forum. You have been missed.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello McCott.

I remember you and its nice having you back with us. My son lives in Seattle, my daughter did until she moves a few years ago to Arizona. I live in Bend, Oregon. My DH passed away 5 years ago I remember visiting with you often back then. Please take care of yourself. Hugs Zetta

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

McCott! Hello and welcome back; good to see you. I had been thinking of you from time to time and wondering how you were; so glad you are here. I am sorry to hear of the physical issue, but though unfamiliar with that condition, it is good to hear it is very slow moving.

I have always loved Washington where we have gone so many times and love Seattle; it is a beautiful city.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

7 years to be a caregiver for someone with dementia is a very long time and is strength beyond words. You should never feel guilt that some are in this longer. Some more, some less. I've been a caregiver to my wife for about 5 years now. The last few years have been the hardest. I don't know how I'm going to make it another year much less two more but we'll find a way, day by day.

Be glad your struggle with this is over, I know I would be but I also would feel guilt thinking about many things I could've done better. . . etc.

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

My dad had RA and I have a close friend with it. I'll be praying for you

• McCott

To ghphotog Yes I feel guilty about several things towards the end. He was non-responsive, so I would just sit on the couch in the hospice room. I wish I had gotten next to him on the bed and hugged him one last time. As it was, he died in his sleep one of the nights that I had been there, and had held his hand, but wish I had cuddled one last time.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hello, McCott,

Nice to hear from you, even if it’s a “drive by”. I, too, lost DH, just 2 weeks ago. I was able to keep him at home for 11 years and then he spent 17 months in a MCF about one hour away. He hadn’t known family or his whereabouts for several years; he was well loved and well cared for there. I have been grieving the loss of him since his initial dx in May, 2010, so although my heart is broken, the blow is somewhat softened.

I hope you are doing well (and your son and his significant other as well). On a lighter note, has the “older” gentleman on the motorized bike cruised by lately? Please stay in touch. I plan to lurk, stalk, and occasionally chime in from stage 8.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

hello back

wishing you well

• McCott

Hello Beachfan -- I had totally forgotten about the man on the motorcycle! Haven't seen him in recent years. I haven't had any recent marriage proposals and that's fine with me : )

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more