Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By Ed - Oh my!!

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

A woman reached out to the reporter who wrote the article on dementia. Her mother in law lost her husband to dementia, and would like to talk to me. He gave me a number if I wanted to call her. So I did. When I asked her what type of dementia her husband struggled with, she said "Type of dementia?" She had no idea there were different types, and thought it was just "dementia". She is in her early 80s, and never had a computer or cell phone. She has 2 sons, living out of state, and a daughter living in a not too distant different town. Her daughter visits once a week, but she did almost all of the caregiving by herself. I didn't know it was possible in this day and age for a caregiver to know so little about the disease. Another reason for awareness!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Goes to show you that your efforts have already had an impact.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

You have such a good heart to help these folks. I bet there are many more who read and learned, even though you may never hear from them.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Ed, it was so nice of you to call her. I imagine your call was very helpful to her. My 82 year old brother who worked with computers his whole working career does not own one. And he only got a cell phone about two years ago.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more