Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

White Crane: Gotta laugh or I'm gonna cry

A couple of days ago, DH and I were sitting in the living room relaxing. I think he must have dozed off for awhile or something. He suddenly picked up one of the two TV remotes and asked, "Is this an aspirin bottle?" The question was so unexpected that it surprised me! I told him no, that's the TV remote. Then he picked up the second remote and asked the same question. I answered the same way. He then picked up the remote that operates his lift chair to ask the question again! Then he asked where the woman was. We were the only ones there. He was so confused and yet I found myself stifling a laugh! Maybe that was better than bursting into tears. Nothing should surprise me anymore but this really did.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

They will surprise you. I'm glad you could find it humorous. Much better and healthier than crying.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Those are the times it kind of takes your breath away. Humor is better than crying, that's for sure. That must have been one wild dream he'd had.

eagle

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Yep. It kind of shook me when my DH asked if the dog in the room was dead or alive. No dog was around. I keep thinking I will get used to these and most of the time I take it in stride. Then I will be sidelined. This is a rotten disease.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Humor is at least something of a defense. Yesterday my DH put on two pairs of jeans and wanted to wash his feet with toothpaste. I tried to think about he book I would write telling these kinds of stories.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm with you, White Crane. It's laugh or cry. I've been relying on my gallows sense of humor since my sister was first diagnosed.

Last week she asked me if our parents had passed away. I said yes - quite awhile ago. Then she asked me if me and my brother had also passed away. I assured her we're healthy and doing well. She responded with "I just wanted to make sure no one else had died." Bizarre question and response (and sad), but I needed to respond to it as if it was a completely normal question to ask. But it was so weird that I had to smile about it.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm glad you all understand. Sometimes it just amazes me the things he asks. Just a couple of days ago he asked how many children we had. Then he asked how old our daughter is. Then he asked how old she was when she was born. Hmm, I have to admit I didn't know what to say to that one.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I can relate to this. Tonight as I was getting dh ready for bed he asked me if I was going to put his bed outside. My first reaction was why would I do that. So I asked him do you mean put your bed outside like in the yard? He replied yes you did last time and I was scared. That broke my heart, so I reassured him that no way would I put his bed outside. Tried to convince him it was just a bad dream. After I got him into his bed and everything was okay, I told him good night and only have good dreams and that I loved him. He then asked if I was still his wife. Yes I am and always will be. I truly hate this disease.

• White Crane

Joydean, you have to wonder sometimes where these thoughts come from.

And Victoria, now I can grab the Crest to brush my teeth and my toes!

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I set out DHs church clothes for after his shower. Everything easily ready for him. I helped him with his socks and went out to the kitchen. Some moments later, he comes to the kitchen dressed in yesterdays blue Jeans and my brand new red sweater that I had received for my birthday. It’s not the first time he has put on one of my tops. I took him back to the bedroom and helped him get undressed. As he sat on the bed, he says,”Well, you said ‘I do’ so you have to help me get dressed. Made me chuckle. Glad to know I was his wife, not his sister.

• White Crane

Pookie Blue, that made me smile. I’m glad you can get a chuckle out of that and also enjoy the fact that he knows you’re his wife.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more