Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

trying something new

joytoy
joytoy Member Posts: 20
Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

been on this road going on 6 yrs now. i will admit i have caregiver burnout. instead of just walking away i am trying a different way of holding on to my sanity. i have rented a place for me to go to on the weekends. it is very hard on my friend/partner for me to leave him every week for 2 days but if this doesnt work then i have no alternative but to walk away permanently. i am leaving the responsibility on his 2 sons. neither one of them have been much of a help these past years but now they have no choice. i tried everything to get them to help me. this was the only way i could think of to make them do something. i feel much guilt but know this is necessary time to think about me as my family says.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Joytoy good job, don't feel guilty if you don't take time for your well being nothing will change. Hope it's an eye opener for the sons.

Stewart

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Don't feel guilty. Feel smart. Good job!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 347
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary

Good for you JoyToy! Time for his sons to step up to the plate. Good luck and let us know how it goes. ❤️

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

That's brilliant.

May your weekends provide you the clarity to make good decisions around this situation.

Don't feel guilty. Your strategy may bring his sons into his life which is a positive thing.

HB

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

What a wonderful idea! Please don't feel guilty - feel brilliant! We all wish we could join you.

• joytoy
    joytoy Member Posts: 20
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

well my idea was a good one except for one problem. Every time I leave I come back to accusations about infidelity. Each week gets worse. So I suffer badly for a day and sometimes 2 by time its over its time for the weekend again. Not only do I suffer when I get back he suffers too. His boys just dont care so he isnt getting very good care while im gone. Next step I am starting the process to place him in a home. Im telling him it is just for a week so I can get some needed rest. If he goes then Im hoping he will see it is the best place for him. If he insists on going home it is going to be up to his boys to pick him up Im done at that point.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Joy, I'm sorry it's so hard. But you have to take care of you. You are doing nothing wrong, and I hope when his boys see that you are serious, they'll come around. You've been in the pits long enough.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more