Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Updates on three montelukast clinical trials

When the Alzheimers Association started the new version of Alzconnected, they did away with the Clinical trials board, which was where I have been posting most often for the last 7 years. Seven years ago was when I started taking montelukast multiple times a day. Here is an update of montelukast trials for Alzheimers and Parkinson disease.

The Emory FDA trial was completed in November 2022. My understanding is that the FDA requires them to report their results within one year of completion. The Emory trial started with 150 participants in 2019 but was halted because of the Covid pandemic. When it restarted, Emory reduced the size to 32, which means that only 16 participants were receiving montelukast, which is way too small for getting FDA approval. However, with positive results, some physicians may aggree to prescribe the drug off label. I am wondering if Emory could be looking at some of the early participants who were left out of the second group but still continued to take the drug. Just my speculation.

The Intelgenx motelukast Alzheimers clinical trial under the supervision of Health Canada is scheduled to be completed in October 2023.

A clinical trial to investigate the use of montelukast as a treatment for Parkinsons disease will start later the year by the world famous Karolinska Institute in Sweden through a grant by the Swedish government.

These trials have not gotten much press because they are not being promoted by major pharmaceutical companies, but I am sure you will hear a lot more when results come out later this year. You can see more about these trials in www.montelukast-repurposed.org.

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney