Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

aiming urine outside diaper

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Ok. I'm needing ideas although I hope no one else has faced this but I bet someone has. My DH is reaching into his diaper and aiming his stream outside the diaper. I kept thinking that I just hadn't placed it correctly till today and I "caught" him reaching into his diaper. I stopped him but later he did it again. Filled the chuck and onto the carpet. Any ideas?

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Clothing that he cannot get into, like one piece overalls that secure up the back

• Lgw

We thought of that but he is bed bound and cant stand up. He actually has to wear shirts that are slit up the back to make that easier. Funny that most of the time he never had an impulse that he needed to pee and all the sudden the 80 year old habit of holding it and aiming has come back. Also suddenly after not eating much at all he is hungry all the time. The alarm on the bed has gone off twice today, once to pee and once to go get something to eat right after eating 30 minutes earlier. He finished with some left over that time.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I haven't seen any posts that describe it the way you did, but I have seen where they will pee on a wall, garbage can, or any other thing that seems right to them. And that is sometimes in the middle of the floor.

I can't tell you how many times I caught my wife getting ready to pee on the couch or a chair. Luckily I was always able to catch her to redirect her to the bathroom.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Jumpsuits - Men's Adaptive Adaptive Clothing for Seniors, Disabled & Elderly Care (buckandbuck.com)

There are onesies and jumpsuits that zip up the back to prevent this very issue and disrobing. It's that common a problem.

HB

• Lgw

My problem is he is bed bound. He can't walk or even stand up. I don't even put pants of any sort on him so I can change his diaper. He can barely turn from one side to the other most of the time.

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Could you use paper tape to close the opening around his waist?

• Lgw

I might try that. Thanks. I will see if Hospice has an idea too.

• JudyMorrowMaloney
    JudyMorrowMaloney Member Posts: 74
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Is he peeing on the bed, in the air, on the walls? If he is peeing right on the bed, put incontinence pads underneath him. You can wash them over and over again

• Lgw

On the bed and the covers. I'm washing the covers 3 times a day. I am considering putting a raincoat between him and the covers?

• Mythi
    Mythi Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Having a similar problem with my father. Tired of washing clothes and changing him. The overall idea is a good one. Let me try that!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more