Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DeJa Vue Question

Denise1847
Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Have any of your loved ones experienced almost daily deja vue ? For example, if we go to a restaurant, he will swear we were there before and sat in exactly the same seat, when we have never been there before. I will put on a new tv show and he will tell me it is a rerun. Thank you for your incite.

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

My mother did this all the time. She also would look at people in public + say she knew them.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Denise it sounds like confabulation, it's a pretty common phenomenon. My partner does it all the time. We were talking the other day about her bad back and how it was a shame her mother didn't take her to Houston for evaluation when she was a kid. Not fifteen minutes later we were talking about it again, and she told me that there was nothing more anyone could do for her back, she'd seen doctors in Houston and everywhere else. She just picks up pieces of things and inserts them whereever.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This is super common.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

My husband does this. I’ll turn on a live ball game and he says he’s seen it before. Movies also. If I tell him something in the newspaper, he says that it’s been in the paper for the last two weeks.

• Denise1847

It is so bizarre but you have to keep a sense of humor. I now ask him to please tell me what the show was about or the ending. That usually ends the conversation.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DH does this very often. If we're watching TV (yesterday it was a documentary about the Iran hostage crisis) he will tell me about when he was there and how he was involved (having to move from place to place to keep from being taken hostage). He 'remembers' being friends with Muhammed Ali, training elephants and hunting for stolen art in Poland. Sometimes it's interesting to ask him for details, just to see how his mind is working. Whenever I show him a picture, even from today's news, he knows he's seen it before. Sometimes it's hard, remembering how he was. It's undeniable proof that he's not that person. All I can suggest is to roll with it, and if it seems appropriate, encourage him to tell you more about his 'memory.' Know that you're not alone.

• Denise1847

Dear Jazzma,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Some days I feel like I am on Mars with some of this stuff. I am now past the shock of what he believes and trying to just go along. Yes, there are only fragments of who he used to be in a body that still resembles him. Take care and God bless.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more