Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By Ed - tomorrow or the next day I will see someone I haven't seen in over 60 years

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

A woman saw the article about caregivers in the local paper, and asked the reporter to forward a picture of my wife and me at their wedding in 1961. We never saw them again since then. I finally got in touch with her, and I will be going with her to see her husband, who is in a MCF. She said she mentioned my name to him, and he remembers playing baseball with me when we were in our teens. But he can't remember his grandchildren. He can't remember anything for more than about 5 minutes, but if I can make him happy for a few minutes, it will be worth it. I'm looking forward to it.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

See, the ripples from your article continue. You just never know do you! Hope it's enjoyable.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

That is great Ed! Enjoy your visit and that you are brightening their lives.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Ed, how wonderful that you have a chance, to bring a moment of joy into his life. Maybe his wife could take a picture of the two of you together and she can show it to him later.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

She trusting you with her loved one because you have been there and understand. Such a precious thing. I hope you have a great visit!

• Ed1937

The visit was successful. Of course he didn't recognize me, but I don't know how he could have after so long. But he remembered my name, and he repeatedly told me that I used to be so little. 🙂 I told him yes, I was the 115 pound catcher. He even remembered where I worked. About every 10 - 15 minutes he would tell me how little I was (past tense) 🙂, and where I worked. He would ask me about another guy we hung around with, and I told him several times that I haven't seen him in about 6 years or so, but he lived in one of the neighboring towns. I visited with him and his wife for a little more than an hour and a half, and when I left I told her if she needed anything to call me. She kind of teared up, and thanked me for coming. Tomorrow he won't remember that I was there, but she will. I'm glad I went.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Ed, it was so nice of you to bring some life into your friend you haven't seen in a long time.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited May 2023

Ed, that's wonderful! I'm a firm believer of "nothing happens by chance" and "there are no coincidences." You've played a role and brought a moment of joy to someone who needed it. Who knows what other adventures your article will bring, if not to you directly, then to those who have read it?!!

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

He may not remember the details, but with Alz, people do seem to have an emotional resonance, so you may make him happier for several days even if doesn't really recall why.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

How nice to refresh an old memory!

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Whoever it was that "named" you the mayor had it right!! You rock Ed :)

Michele

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Ooh- I just seen the little emoji picker.😁

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What a wonderful gift you gave him and his wife! I loved hearing about your visit.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a caring and loving gift you have given; she will never, ever forget your kindness. Well done, Ed.

J.

• Ed1937

As always, thank you for your kind comments.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937

Thank you, Victoria. I have the time to give now.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

lovely.....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia