Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sudden energy

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

After 3 months of sleeping 23 hours a day, (only awake when I feed and change him) my DH tried to get out of bed 2 times yesterday. Then tonight at 4:30 am he tried to get up to go get a cup of coffee. At 5:30 the dog woke up throwing up, so I got up and fixed my DH some coffee. He had taken his shirt off and peed all over the bed. Thank heavens for chucks. I don't know if this is common and he will go back to sleeping. At least the bed will lower so when I run to the grocery store I'm not afraid of him falling.

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Lgw, You must be very tired. Sorry you had such a bad night. I hope today is better. Sending hugs.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

To answer your question, I do think there can be zig zags in energy even for someone bedbound. My husband is bedbound and has been for a year and nine months. He slipped out of the bed and was kind of hanging by his arm. Had to get the fire department to get him back in bed. I purchased a longer side rail which did the trick.

DH was also sleeping 23 hours but then began being more awake. I’m trying to figure it out too. I don’t think it’s a good thing. I think he is more restless / nervousand possibly in more pain and can’t sleep. He is chewing on his finger and looking around.Of course he can’t tell me why. I’ve also wondered if it was a kind of terminal agitation.

I’m not particularly helpful but just know I am in the trenches with you

• Lgw

I'm sorry you are facing this too. It makes sense that they are anxious. They have me giving my DH something for anxiety but maybe he is having a reaction to it. This is not a trench we want to be in.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I know i have heard the term "terminal restlessness," but hard to know if this is it or not. I'd be interested to know what your Hospice caregivers think.

• Lgw
    edited May 2023

They hesitate to tell me much. They increased his meds for anxiety so now he is sleeping again. If I were to read between the lines it probably is. His feet and hands are really cold! They did mention a cardio thing with his hands and feet.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more