Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stopping RX insurance

Elshack
Elshack Member Posts: 240
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Since DH is on Hospice in Memory Care I want to cancel his RX insurance since I no longer have to use it. I called the AARP United healthcare company and they said they have to hear HIM say that he wants to discontinue his insurance. he barely speaks at all. My other choice is to fax all my POA papers for his health decisions etc. I find this to be totally ridiculous. It costs me $ 110.00 per month for his insurance which I no longer use.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Please check with a hospice first. Make sure they really will pay for all his medications. Also remember that he could be removed from hospice at any time/ then you wouldn’t be able to get the prescription coverage back.

There are many prescription plans much cheaper than AARP, and you are able to change every year. You can run comparisons at Medicare.gov

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I was going to say the same thing Elshack--you may not be receiving bills, but they may still be using his part D coverage and you just don't know it. Would be wise to be sure before you cancel it.

I have made electronic copies of my POA papers, had to send one to the car insurance company the other day, and it was very easy just to attach it to an email and send it. I have not had any problems with anyone not accepting an electornic copy. I agree that faxing or mailing is quite tedious.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My Part D is only about $10/month. It's Wellcare. Just FYI

• Elshack

M1 How do I make electronic copies of my POA papers? The healthcare POA has about 10 pages. Please advise.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Youd have to have a,scanner to scan it into your computer. Most printers now have scanning capability too, it might be worth it. Runs about $80-100. But once it's there you can email it rather than fax and it's much easier.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Elshack, I make electronic copies by scanning the originals to the computer using my printer. I’m not sure if you have a printer or if it’s able to scan documents. Another method is to ask the law office where you got the legal documents done if they would either email the documents to you or put them on a thumb drive for you. And yet another method is to take a picture of each page using your smartphone. Then you can save them in photos or, on the iPhone, there’s a way to put them into Notes. There are probably other ways to accomplish this as well and hopefully other members will post what they have done. Depends on what equipment you have and your level of comfort with doing “stuff” on the computer.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Another possibility might be by using some place like Office Depot or Office Max to see if they could do that for you. You also might try a local library to see if they can help. You can phone them to see if they can help. Or another possibility might be a senior center to see if anyone there can help. There has to be a lot of different options available.

• Elshack

Thank you for your suggestions. I have decided to keep his insurance as 2 of his meds are not covered by Hospice and even though I pay $ 110.00 per month for him, these meds will be sent to me for free.

I can scan using my new HP printer.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

when we were on hospice I kept moms GP and Neurologist on board, in case we were discharged. After 1.5 years she was discharged and I was glad I didn’t have to start from the beginning. We continued life like she was still on hospice, same equipment, less baths but I used the docs for refills etc… I guess I’m on team wait.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more