Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Our anniversary

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So this Tuesday is the 25th anniversary of our first date. I was 28. He was 39. We had been talking for a while online (we met on AOL 😂) and finally decided to meet in person. He picked me up at my parent's house and we went to dinner and a club. The first time he hugged me I knew I had found my person. When we returned to my folk's place, we sat in the car talking. And talking. And talking some more. Neither of us wanted the night to end. We were still sitting there when my mom came out to go to mass. We moved in together 5 months later. Married a little over a year after that.

As much as right now sucks a lot, I wouldn't give up one day. We've loved, fought, laughed, cried. For 25 years we've been a team.

So this Tuesday is bittersweet. He probably won't really get the significance of it, even if I explain it. I'll count it as a win if he has a good day. I'm going to focus on remembering the good things.

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Hi Jeanne, May your week and anniversary go well. I’ve thought a few times “If I knew then what I know now…”. I still would have married him. But I do have some regrets. Would we have traveled more? Would I have retired sooner? Those thoughts just lead to more sadness. All we have is today. I like your attitude of just remembering the good things. Thank you for sharing.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Jeanne,

Congratulations on 25 years! Many couples don't stay together that long. It is wonderful that you have so many good memories. I am trying to live in the here and now and not look back or forward because it brings me tremendous saddness. Sending hugs and comfort your way.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jeanne, you have an excellent attitude. I hope you both have a great day!

• tgeno
    tgeno Member Posts: 34
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

Jeanne, congratulations on your anniversary. This month, my wife and I are celebrating our 8th anniversary, our first since her diagnosis. We married late in life (in our 60s). Every year I remind her of the last portion of my wedding vow to her: "We have begun this journey as we enter the autumn of our lives. There will surely be much joy and happiness and laughter, and there will also be bumps in the road and challenges yet unknown. But it is my promise to you, ... , that as we walk this path together, I will be by your side with love and strength and courage – today, tomorrow and forever." I will fulfill that promise to her.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Jeanne, Happy Anniversary! I wish you a pleasant day with happy memories.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Wishing you congratulations. Such a lovely tribute to your relationship with your DH, and a great stance you’re taking.

My DW doesn’t remember our anniversary, or what it means. Most of the time, she doesn’t know we’re married.

But I remember, and can celebrate what was.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

For my wife and I, our first date was 50 years ago. (July 21st). We have now been married for 46 years and for the last 3 she's had no idea. We used to go to a very nice restaurant every year, but that is no longer possible. Anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays no longer exist for her. Even though she is still at home with me, I remember those days alone. Keep focusing on better days.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for the well wishes. It was a good day.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Happy belated anniversary and hope you had a good day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more