Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

change for the worse?

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

My DH is clinging to the bed rail and wont' let go. I also had to feed him his breakfast. Good thing it was oatmeal. I don't think he could have swallowed anything else. He is also shaking. He has Vascular Dementia so I am thinking he had a stroke last night or yesterday? He didn't eat supper but I have let him sleep before. I struggled to put guards around the bed so he wouldn't fall off. Hospice tells me to shove the bed up next to the wall. I can't imagine shoving and pulling all day long. I have a bad back and it is enough to change him when sometimes he has no idea that moving his shoulders does not move his rear end. I ordered a thing that will roll him but it is coming from China and at this rate it may not get him in time to help at all.

Comments

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m sorry this is happening! My thoughts are on the bed. I did shove my moms bed up against the wall and was moving it back and forth to change her since I was most comfortable working on the wall side. Of course, it was a hospital bed so it had wheels but it wasn’t great. I did get a small rolling cart so I could keep the supplies easily accessible. I’m assuming your DH is in a hospital bed and you can raise it to its highest setting for changing, to help your back? Helped me a lot. I found that when we switched to the alternating air loss mattress, my mother was actually easier to roll. We had half rails and she did eventually become frightened of any movement but we did what we had to. I’m not experienced with VD and the practical differences from Alzheimer’s. Just my two cents.

I hope for some peace for both of you today.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I move the hospital bed against the wall at night. I do this because one morning his legs were both hanging down the side and he looked pretty uncomfortable. I think I mentioned to you that I had purchased longer bed rails from Amazon. Hospice won’t give them to you because it’s considered restraint.

I too have a bad back and have to figure out my own ways of doing things. I always change him with the bed at its highest point. Moving the bed back and forth once a day hasn’t been bad for my back but every bad back is different

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more