Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The things you learn

Buggsroo
Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Now that my husband is on crisis placement, I get more help from different psws and a new lady came on Monday. A soft spoken lady from Eritrea who did not take no for an answer.

My husband when asked if he would to be changed and cleaned usually says no. Well this lady wasn’t having any of that and kept at him until we both were able to remove his sodden diaper, give him a wash and get him clean.

So when the regular psw came in, I told her about this so we tackled my husband and cleaned him up. It was amazing, for the first time he smelled good. I was gobsmacked to be honest, and realized I was babying him too much and a much firmer hand had to be applied. So armed with this knowledge, I plan to put my foot down and get him cleaned up daily.

He still pees on the floor and leaves turds for me but dealing with how smelly he has been as been an education. Wrestling the husband to be cleaned is sort of like being thrown in a bag with angry cats but I am quite strong. It helps being 12 years younger and having done weight training.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggs I kinda laughed when I read you did weight training and now that skill is coming into play,I am not making light of your situation but rather I am always amazed at your resilience to overcome. I have read the pwd still respect authority like police and judges seems the new soft spoken help has that air of authority. Well done is all I can say for using that new found skill.

Stewart

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggs,

You make me smile (sometimes laugh out loud). My son in law always refers to “a bag of cats” or “herding cats” when things go South. I get it. I hope you are able to find success with this current placement and that circumstances continue to progress so that both you and your DH find contentment. Thinking of you! 🥰

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Buggs, you sure have what it takes! Thanks for the laugh.

• Buggsroo

Thanks so much. Today he called me effing c&@t as I winkled off his shirt, his sodden diaper and our psw washed him. Then the two of us decided to tackle the Rip Van Winkle beard and now he doesn’t look like he scared off the horses. I am revelling in this Wonder Woman stance as I wrestle my smelly husband to the ground. Hurray.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m so glad you shared your life with us. Smiles and cringes for you all in one but mostly smiles! So glad this solution works. Thanks again for sharing.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Buggs, this brought both a smile and a new thought to me. I'm so glad this is working for you! And yes, I see this in my DH about still respecting authority. Maybe I will try some of this attitude although I haven't done any weight training. Sending hugs.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Buggsroo, that is a funny story. Good thing for your husband you were weightlifting and not taking jiu-jitsu.

You aren't washing me ! Ow, ow, ow, ow, ok, ok, ok, ok....

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited May 2023

Victoria, I think they have him on fast track for placement, but nothing yet.

• Buggsroo

Sorry if I wasn’t too clear. Honestly running on fumes now. My husband is at the top of the list to be placed but no luck yet. I get care help of two hours a day. The two of us tackle him, wash him, change his diaper and basically wrestle him to the ground. The PSW holds his hands while I yank down his sodden pants and diaper. Today we shaved his head because he wouldn’t let us wash his hair. It has been quite the battle but with the extra help, it has been a easier.

My mother who is 90 came home from the hospital and she is getting help from psws as well. I have to explain to her that will help her with bathing and laundry as well as food prep. She can’t find things so I get panicked phone calls asking where things are. Often I don’t know so it can be fraught. Oh well, onward I go and part the Red Sea.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more