Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

There is a special place in heaven for you

/STEVE
/STEVE Member Posts: 15
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Yesterday while shopping with wife and were stopped in front of the Peanut Butter. I pull off a jar of clunky. Wife say I don't like clunky, for 50 years she would not eat smooth. So I am standing there blocking the Peanut Butter like a deer in the head light, another shopper ask me nicely to pass some smooth, I look at them and say sorry for blocking the Peanut Butter but my wife of 50 year that has alz just informed me she does not like clunky, another shopper that is slowly passing by and over hearing this say " There is a special place in heaven for you" . I look at her and could tell they had been there, and knew what I was saying.

It made my day.

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

She knew - kinda makes you want to cry. You never know what another person has lived through.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It's amazing what will make your day when you are dealing with this stuff. I'm glad you got to hear that.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Oh all the things that change,dw used to drink black coffee forever now sweet with creamer, the veggies she liked not so much anymore.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I can identify. What my DW likes today she may not like tomorrow. Everything is either too hot or too cold, too spicy or too salty. This week she complained that the ice cream was too cold. Whatever I make for meals she will only eat 1/4 of it so I really don't know what to fix. She eats mostly sweets and spends her time foraging the food supply and messing with it. One of her favorites is crushing potato chips and crackers into small pieces. This behavior is annoying but at this point I am more concerned about more dangerous behaviors.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Loreta and Ed nailed it. I call those breathtaking moments. Your LO has said something you can not believe they've just said - then someone shares an affirmation to you. It takes your breath away. And later at home when your LO is resting the tears can come.

Thanks for sharing. This is something we can relate to.

eagle

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

That’s great that the lady recognized what you are going through and took the time to bless your day.

• Lhuerta
    Lhuerta Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DH is a gardener and has always had a hatred for squirrels. He would trap and kill them - made me so upset. The other day, we were in the car at a stop sign and he said, "Look at those squirrels! They're so cute. I love squirrels". I was dumbfounded.

There are a lot of us around that have been affected by dementia and understand what we're going through. It always means so much, though, when they acknowlege it.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@/STEVE

The "who are you?" moments can be really hard when they sneak up on us.

But how nice to get validation from a fellow member of the secret society that "gets it". I have a dear friend who was taking care of her mom with dementia when I was helping with my dad. We used to meet for lunch every month or so to share the good, the bad and the ugly. It kept us sane. On parting she always said with a chuckle, "we're earning diamonds for our heavenly tiaras".

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney