Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

At Home Caretaker

In adding up expenses, the stay at home caretaker is less expensive than assisted living and memory care places. Is it normal for my friend to develop a strong bond with the caretaker? We are fortunate to find someone she likes but I cringe over the kiss goodbye and her waiting at the door when the caretaker leaves to wave goodbye.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jill, I think the most important thing is that she is getting the care she needs, and she likes the caregiver. Many people don't care much for caregivers. I understand that you might be concerned on some level, and I think it would be a good idea to keep an eye on her finances so you know where her money is going. Just to be safe. Do you have POA?

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DW has developed a strong connection with her aide. I am grateful for that.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I’m unsure whether I understand your concern. Can you elaborate?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Jill, I don't think the bond with the caretaker is of particular concern, but my concern would be if she is still alone and unsupervised for part of every day. Is that why it remains less expensive? you may not be comparing apples to apples unless you are paying for 24/7 care at home too.

• This content has been removed.
  • Jill Florence
    Jill Florence Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Comment

Thank you everyone. Your comments are great. I am less concerned with the caretaker. It is working great for now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more