Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

No-tie shoelaces?

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,723
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

anyone have any good ideas here? The physical therapist wanted my partner to have a good pair of shoes to do therapy and for walking around in--she tends to just use little slide-on clogs which are a fall risk. We tried some slip-ons, but her hands are so affected by Rheumatoid arthritis that these were actually harder to get on than a standard laced shoe. But the therapist is afraid that she may not tie a standard lace very well. Have any of you used a no-tie lace? There seem to be several out there, but not sure which would work. Any suggestions?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

How about the Skechers new slip-ins?

Hands Free Slip-ins | Hands Free Shoes | SKECHERS

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Take a look at kizik.com. They have shoes that have laces, but you don't need to tie or untie them. You slip the shoes on like regular slip on shoes, and the heel just pops back up when the foot is fully inserted. I bought a pair for my wife, and after she passed, one of our daughters took them. They both really liked them. I think they have a short video on the site that shows how they work.

• Ed1937

I found a video on youtube. If you watch it, starting about 5:50 time, you will see how the shoe is put on. I did not watch the whole video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tlsg0vb_jg

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I second Skechers slip on sneakers. They work well for my DW and they look nice to.

• M1

My sister in law just suggested kiziks too so I'll take a look. Thanks guys---anything that she has to use her hands for is difficult.

• Goodtogo
    Goodtogo Member Posts: 5
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment

would no tie laces work on regular sneakers?

they have many different styles

https://a.co/d/gWARorb

• Tony484
    Tony484 Member Posts: 31
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

I third or fourth Skechers Slip-In's, but have no experience with the other's suggested. Sketchers are very easy for my wife to use. I like the ones with the fake shoelaces but which don't actually tie, so there is no confusion about tying. My wife also has a pair of slip-ins with laces that work, and they can be used to tighten up the fit, but the fit is good already for her. I just help with the tying if she forgets the steps. Just be sure you get the kind of sole you want, since some are smoother than others. Suggest looking at all the suggestions here and maybe have the PT take a look and see if the PT has preferences or suggestions. For example, we walk a lot on dirt trails where the roughness of the bottoms make a difference, but that wouldn't be an issue for a lot of people. It is nice to have stylish options these days. I'm going to start buying those for myself. They are ridiculously expensive though in comparison to standard sneakers, but that's what you get when you buy into the new "trend."

• Tony484
    Tony484 Member Posts: 31
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

p.s. We tried no-tie laces too but couldn't get a good fit and my wife had a harder time shoving her foot in versus just stepping down as with the Skechers. But the inexpensive no tie laces on Amazon are definitely worth a first try if your partner already has a good sent of shoes with laces.

• BadMoonRising
    BadMoonRising Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Try shoes with Velcro fasteners. I haven't worn lace-ups in years.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 2023

Take a look at Orthofit "Clio". Once you adjust the velcro straps they just silp on. I think the support is great.

There is free return!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I'd be wary of Velcro given her RA; they require some dexterity to manage. People used to suggest them for kids with autism as they have trouble learning to tie because of fine motor delays and motor planning issues. Turns out, most struggle with Velcro, too.

Kizik and Skechers "Slip-ins" seem to work the same. Skechers also makes a slip-on ballet flat with an athletic sole that my friend bought when she had hand surgery. The Skechers are fairly easy to fine in bricks and mortar stores. DSW Show Warehouse has quite a few options. Skechers also has free-standing retail stores.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited May 2023

Kizik...no hands involved. Skechers are comfortable but I find that their slip-ons still require some assistance by fingers to pull up the back heel in order for foot to "slip" in.

Just wondering, doesn't MC staff help your wife get dressed including putting on shoes?

• M1

Dio, no, she is still pretty independent in dressing and most ADL's. I think it's gradually slipping--but she doesn't need cueing to dress, yet. One of the aides did ask me to help her shower today because she's been refusing--and she did, pretty willingly with me there. I also changed her sheets, because she's resistant to letting the aides do that, too. She liked having me help her. This is a BIG change from the previous facility, where she wouldn't let me do any of those things. So three weeks in, and it's much, much better.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

M1, that's great! This dreadful disease is so unpredictable. I hope she continues to thrive in this new environment. You've done a saintly job taking care of her.

• Ed1937

M1, thanks for the update. This welcome change has been a very long time coming. I'm so glad it's working.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My son got my hubby a pair of Hey Dudes. They're very soft, and all the trend with the younger generation right now. Comfort and trendy!! Win Win!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more