Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

SMH (shake my head) moment

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Just sharing because I know you'll get it. Overnight, my DH managed to misplace his underwear. All of it (except what was in the hamper). Checked drawers and closets throughout the house. Checked the laundry. Checked the basement. Checked the car and garage. Yes, I checked the trash.

Someday I'll find it. It will probably be with his keys and his last phone.

Gotta laugh sometimes.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Check the car. That's where my wife's upper dentures were found, after about a week looking for them.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Still happens, even in memory care. Right now I'm looking for one flat (top) sheet and one picture of a chicken. The sheet may be in the laundry. The chicken pic, no idea. she still packs up every day or so to leave--even though I try to minimize what's in the room that she can pack into. Right now it's her laundry hamper (which they insist she have).

• Unbreak4ble
    Unbreak4ble Member Posts: 33
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

But finding things on accident is a thrill!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Check to be sure he's not wearing them all. Some PWD really go all-in on the layered look.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeane thanks for your post and all the replies. I just smh and laugh. They lose the remote in the mcf where my dw is so I downloaded the app for the TV and can control the TV when it's lost. I truly find it amazing how quickly a pwd can literally lose something in seconds and it's no where to be found. I have done those top to bottom searches and just gave up only to see the item reappear like a memory and then just disappear again like magic.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

OMG! It gives a complete new meaning to the phrase, "going commando"! Shaking my head, too, but laughing and crying at one time.

• Jeanne C.

@toolbeltexpert mine puts the TV and ceiling fan remotes in my nightstand drawer (right next to the inexplicable collection of small flashlights). I've had to label them so I can find the right one to use! I'm usually pretty good at finding his stuff because I know his usual hiding spots, but this one has me stumped. Amazon overnight to the rescue and we're well-stocked again. 😂

Thanks everyone. It's great to feel heard and understood.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 347
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary

I guess we can all relate 🤣 Last week my LO clogged his toilet; won't go into graphic detail. My son came over and used the plunger on it, that didn't work; then he used the auger, that at least flushed the toilet but it was still clogged. Called my plumber; after an hour or so of trying everything, he put the camera down the sewer line and was able to retrieve a hand towel LO had flushed down the toilet 🤑

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 240
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Since my DH has been in memory care for 9 mo he has lost his upper dentures and one of his $1800.00 hearing aids! Obviously I can't replace those at this stage of the game. He will be 93 next month. I have a feeling he threw those items in the trash.

• Unbreak4ble
    Unbreak4ble Member Posts: 33
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Caro_Lynne reminded me of this incident:

Everybody knows not to blame them because as soon as you do, you’ll discover you’re the one who misplaced it, right?

So the toilet was stopped. It was instant, no water would go down. I was convinced it was a hand towel because she had stopped up the sink with one and flooded the bathroom... three times.

i didn’t react, I played it off like a loving husband. Called the maintenance man and convinced him of my theory. He was about to remove the toilet when my neighbor (apartments) just returned from the store with a plunger.

Turns out, neighborhood children had found a loose trap and filled it with dirt.

So glad I learned years ago to never assume blame.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 347
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary

So true Unbreak4ble! I asked him if he knew what happened to clog the toilet, not blaming him; he immediately became defensive and swore he did not do anything - was sorry I asked 🤐

• Jeanne C.

SMH. He walked into the bedroom carrying this about an hour ago. He said "I don't know where this was but I've got a veritable sh**load of it now."

• BarnesL
    BarnesL Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Wow ! Can so relate. DW removed the dog's flea color to go to the vets. Came home and tore the house apart to find it. Went to the store and purchased a new one and sure enough it turned up later in the trash.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more