Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anger Management

My DW was fairly recently diagnosed and we are processing the news. She's been more aggressive in discussions on several issues. Is it worth it to try to argue/debate the facts or situation, agree (within reason) and /or try not to debate, or what? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• db1970
    db1970 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

My DH was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment in March 2023. I find it difficult having casual conversations with him frequently. His normal communication skills have devolved over the last year. He uses the wrong word to describe something in the conversation making it difficult for me to follow. When I try to clarify, he insists he didn't use the wrong word. His doctors have told me to divert the conversation to a different topic and try to keep smiling. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. His doctors have told me it is essential to maintain his social skills and I try. But on topics for debate, I would find it difficult for me to keep my part of the conversation going without consequences. He has told me some conversations are just too confusing or hard to follow. Everyone has different levels of competency in debating. While my DH used to debate issues with me and our friends openly and without anger, he could not hold up his end of the debate now either. Hope this helps.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

PWDs can no longer debate, it's too complicated. Use simple sentences. Pause briefly between sentences to allow PWD time to process. Above all, avoid arguing over things that don't really matter.

Iris

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

FWIW, I almost never "confuse him with the facts". That is to say, unless it's of immediate urgency, I give my DH an, um, abridged explanation. I also try to ignore his plans to do things that I know are unwise because usually he doesn't have enough executive function to carry out these plans.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited May 2023

Welcome to the forums. Sorry you need them, but it's the place to get help and understanding.

Obchuck, forget the debating, forget showing the "proof".She is in her own world, and she can't get out of it. If you want your life to be less complicated, you have to find ways to live in her world. She doesn't have the option to live in ours.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

One of my many mantras is "what does it matter?" If it isn't going to hurt someone, damage something or have long-term consequences, I make like Elsa and "let it go." You will have more peace.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more