Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need Help with Toilet Splatters

LJCHR
LJCHR Member Posts: 193
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My DH has an Ileostomy - his sight and smell have been affected with the dementia. He splatters everywhere when he empties his appliance, including walls, clothes, etc.

I ordered a 5" toilet riser but he won't use it, he says the middle whole is too small (it is actually only 10" round and unsure of what size he is seeing it to be. The couple of days he used it did stop the splatters but because it's portable he removed it.

I am desperate to get ideas on how to prevent the splatters. I found a 6" riser that actually affixes to the toilet and he cannot remove. The reviews say it is an excellent product but the material is very hard to clean. It has ridges that stain.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue - I wipe down walls and floors every day. It's not only a lot of extra work but very unsanitary and smelly.

Comments

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH puts a plastic bowl with water on the vanity countertop, empties his appliance into the bowl and then empties the bowl into the toilet. If done carefully, there is no splashing.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

This is an expensive option but... you could consider installing a higher toilet for disabilities. We had one installed and it cost around $700 (in Maryland). Also, consider taping a chuck on the wall(s) that are getting splashed.

• JudyMorrowMaloney
    JudyMorrowMaloney Member Posts: 74
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DH has a colostomy and used to make a mess whenever he changed it. It got to the point where I had to start changing it. There haven't been any messes since and he doesn't mind since he doesn't have to deal with it. However, he has trouble walking and falls alot. He is very stubborn and still tries to walk. He fell over the toilet in the bathroom and broke the tank. There was water everywhere. It cost me over $1,000 to have a new one installed (Mass). Now he won't use the toilet so I have to fetch the urinal also. When does it end?????

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Thanks for your comments - this is an everlasting problem - one that seems hard to fix. And I am just in my 3rd year and haven't gotten to the worst point - and there is no end. My heart goes out to all of us - we must endure.....

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I don't have a good answer for you, but if you had the 6" riser, maybe you could put multiple coats of wax on it to try to fill in the ridges. Just a thought. Sorry you have to deal with this too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more