Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

response to spouse

I'm new here so my question may seem very basic....when my dw says something like"mother says to come visit" even though her mother has passed years ago, how do I respond? Do I say "your mothers gone", do I change the subject? What is a good response? Thanks

Comments

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

When my wife asked the same question, I told her that her mother passed away many years ago. She was OK with my answer and just moved on.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When my wife went through the stage where she wanted to see her parents trying to explain that they had passed only upset her. I would come up with an excuse why we could do it today like, it’s going to rain, it will be night soon, their not home right now or any other excuse that came to mind. Then I would promise we would go see them tomorrow, since her short term memory was gone she would not remember the promise the next day.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Generally speaking, most folks suggest glossing over the statement with some sort of validation without stating the obvious. When she says "mother says to come visit" your reply could be--

Yes, let's. I could really go for some of her meatloaf. We'll make a plan for next week. Rinse and repeat.

or That would be fun. Let's arrange that for when she gets back from (the beach, the cabin, her cruise, etc)

My mom used @Donr 's approach with older family members and it was OK. But with my sister who'd been his mini-me favorite, telling him she was dead was like the worst version of Groundhog Day. It was hard because she was a bit like Schrodinger's Cat in a sense that - in his mind- she was at once dead and alive. Sometimes in the same sentence. What I did was use his question as a prompt to retell a funny story from her childhood which he always enjoyed.

HB

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

HB I love that you tell the old story. That is a great tool. I love hearing everybody's different approaches. All good stuff.

Stewart

• curtis88
    curtis88 Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Comment

thanks all for your feedback

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My excuse for not going was that the roads were all closed in their area because of covid. Now that covid restrictions won't work anymore, I'd just say they are having major structural work done on the house, and we'll go when it is done.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think it varies person to person. My partner gets increasingly confused about whether her mother and sister have died but doesn't mind when i remind her. She wants to know what happened to her sister (Lewy body dementia) and wants to know if i knew her mother (yes), but talking about their deaths doesn't disturb her, at least so far.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more