Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hospice respite

I am beginning another Hospice respite today. They picked up my husband at noon in an ambulance and transferred him to the inpatient unit near me. They already called me and said he is resting comfortably.

Even the dog went to the kennel . I fly out early to visit with my son and daughter in Charlotte. He is having an engagement party and I’m to meet his fiancés family.

It feels so weird to be in this empty house. I guess it’s a shadow of what’s to come .When I went to his empty room I cried. When they transferred him he looked so frail but I know he will get great care just like last time.

It’s really a tremendous thing to be able to take this 5 day break . I’m sure I’ll be fine when I get moving.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Have a wonderful time and try not to worry. Glad you are getting this life-sustaining break.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

When my first child was small, I didn’t get anything done sometimes when he was gone. I’d just wander from room to room because it was so quiet and I couldn’t seem to get started on a task. Your comments remind me of that time.

Please enjoy your respite

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This is something you need. Have a great time.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Have a great visit you are right he is in good hands and you need the break.

I wish I had that kind of courage to go visit my family even though dw is in mc. You inspire me to get off my butt and do it.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Please have a wonderful time and enjoy yourself. Yes, this may be a shadow of what’s to come, but you can do it. I am at our little beach house, alone, for a few days. I have been here before, alone, when DH was in placement, but this is my first trip since he passed. (Four weeks today). It’s a little different; I’m not sad, but melancholy and nostalgic. If there is a pretty sunset, I may take some ashes to the beach and send him home with the outgoing tide. It’s hard, but you can do it. Life goes on. Enjoy the engagement party. (I loved being “mother of the groom”- - no planning— just took along the checkbook!)

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I also encourage you to enjoy the time with your family. You may be saving your own life by taking this break.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more