Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Using a cane for balance

gampiano
gampiano Member Posts: 329
Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Can any one recommend a cane that is dementia friendly? My DH is having some balance issues and i' m not sure which style cane to use. Any tips would be so appreciated.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I have two canes for balance ...the one in the car is the only one I really use. Inside and where I work I use a rollator. It is by far more stabilizing and I can carry stuff around on or in the seat. The cane always needs a place to put it down....the rollator it alway ready beside me.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

If balance is a question, a cane is probably not the safest tool. A walker would lend more stability and safety. However, that would be best determined by a professional assessment.

Most insurances including Medicare have benefits for Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy when there is a physician order and the service is medically necessary and your DH does appear to have medical necessity due to balance issues and fall risk. These benefits also includes coverage for home visits for assessment and medically necessary services. Even if only one visit is necessary that would be a good idea in order to have that professional assessment and input on the safest walking implement for your DH and to gain helpful input on any other issues.

We have had such services in the home and it was truly excellent and saved a taxing effort and upset going to outside offices.

Best of wishes being sent your way,

J.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

thank you so much for that good information.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Keep in mind that a PWD may have difficulty remembering to use any device. Expect for the new device to be left behind - it will be a constant struggle to get him to use it. Nevertheless, he should have the PT consultation.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more