Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Will Robotics and AI Be the Future of Elder Care?

Comments

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, thanks for this article. Very interesting. I hope the devices will become truly helpful. I find that working with anything electronic-digital-computer related can be fraught with frustration. It's great when it works.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm looking forward to working with a robot. Where can I get one?

• tfields
    tfields Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I've been working on a use case for Memory Loss patients using AI for a few years now, since I lost my Dad to Alz. I think that what @storycrafter points out is the single biggest challenge. How to make it VERY easy for caretakers and patients to interact without the frustrating interface elements getting in the way?

https://cloudmind.me/ I'd welcome thoughts from this community on this proposed solution.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

We had the experience of trying a "robot minder" instead of a human sitter when my partner was hospitalized last fall. It was a complete joke. She's hard of hearing, and—on top of being so sick that she couldn't follow any directions—she had no idea that the contraption in the corner was trying to communicate with her. I would say it's a long, long way from being market ready.

• Iris L.

I would like to see actual uses of these devices in a video. I know I will be relying on technology. But how?

Iris

• tfields
    tfields Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Assuming that there is no physical presence (ie not a robot) but you could get a smart, wise companion wh could always be on a screen near a patient or loved one… What would you want this companion to be able to do to help?

• Iris L.

I know of no one who would be willing to be available to help me, even via a screen. That's why I would rely on a robot.

Iris

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Robots are not advanced enough to make guacamole because there are too many variables—they won't be able to care for PWD in my lifetime.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more