Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Putting your own oxygen mask first

Galatea
Galatea Member Posts: 7
5 Care Reactions First Comment

I have my cervical spine surgery scheduled for Wednesday. My DH is spiraling with anxiety. I am expected to be in the hospital overnight for observation.

My brother will be with him Wednesday and Thursday for support. I wrote out two pages of notes and instructions for DH's care and schedule. DH is in early stage mixed dementia but it has just been a struggle with him and getting him to accept the surgery.

He begged me to cancel it or postpone. He is in tears about the one day of separation. My post op recovery plan is specific on my limitations and I do have family and friend support. I am just overwhelmed and tired.

How have you managed your health issues as a caregiver?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Maybe best to just not try to explain any more, you may just have to leave like it's an early trip to the grocery store or some other minor errand. It's hard when they can't grasp it and can't remember what you tell them.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry for your health concerns, and I hope everything goes better than expected.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I wish you a successful and uncomplicated surgery.

It's great that you have family support, but I want to suggest that this would be an ideal time to introduce some professional caregivers as you could introduce them as "helping you" not him. This way he could get used to people in the home without feeling like you've hire him a babysitter.

HB

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Good luck on your surgery. I went through this 2 years ago. I have a fusion and decompression. You MUST take care of yourself and get the surgery. Please be strong and know that he is in good care. Prayers for your speedy recovery.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I had cervical spine surgery (tri-level discechtomy and fusion) 2 1/2 years ago. My DW was already in stage 6 at the time.

this is not an insignificant surgery, and you may be pretty banged up afterward. Not a fast recovery and a lot of restrictions (no lifting anything more than 10 pounds, for instance) while you are healing. If it’s anterior surgery, you may have some swallowing challenges. And so on.

I hired aides for 24/7 care of my DW, for two weeks, while I recovered in a guest room. I’m glad I did.

take care of yourself. As you know, you can’t help your DH if you are unwell.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Galatea

Good luck today.

HB

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Letting you know I am thinking of you today; may all go well now and while recovering.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more