Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Grandpa

Alzhelp90
Alzhelp90 Member Posts: 1 Member
My grandpa has dementia and has recently moved to the stage where he is really forgetting names and associations with people. He has told me he has been drinking a lot of alcohol and I am concerned about his care. He got remarried years ago and his wife really doesn’t seem compassionate enough to handle his dementia. I live a couple hours away…the last time I visited she was irritated he was repeating things. She doesn’t do a very good job keeping the rest of the family informed with his treatment plan and I have no idea how to go about ensuring he is in a safe environment. With HIPAA I don’t think I can do much,but if anyone has any suggestions I’d be forever grateful. My grandpa means the world to me and I am wanting to fight for the best care possible. Thank you

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi edinsmoore. It's not just hippa that's a concern, but more importantly who if anyone holds power of attorney for him to act on his behalf if he can't do so. This may be his wife or it may be one of his children. Is your parent or parents or aunts and uncles involved in his care? He's fortunate to have you caring about him, but I would ask your parents and maybe steer them to this forum for ideas about how to help.

One other thing:Hippa laws are one way. His doctors may not be able to talk to you about him, but that doesn't stop you from being able to tell them your concerns, either by phone or in writing. I wish you well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more