Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Putting pet down and how to present to DW

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Taking our beloved dog to vet to put down this morning. DW has to go with me and she will be devastated if she knows the dog isn't coming home. She thinks of them as her children.

I'm thinking that I'll have to leave DW in the truck when we get there but that is risky to. Going to tell her that the dog needs to stay there for a while. She will however know one is missing. Only thing I can really think of.

Just hoping she is not in the room when it happens.

Comments

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Vets are usually pretty sensitive when it comes to euthanasia. They will take the dog into another room if you don't want to be there when it happens. Or like in our case the dog layed down on a blanket and the vet waited for our ok. They will customize the experience for your needs. You may want the vet to lie for you and say the dog needs to stay there for treatment. When she asks where the dog is you can say the vet.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry.

In your shoes, I might ask for the vet tech to come collect you dog from the car to avoid having your wife upset. If she notices his absence, you could describe it as an animal hospital stay.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry gh, you have had a lot of losses and change recently. This adds insult to injury.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This is always something that is hard, whether you have dementia or not. I have a pretty strong feeling I'll be doing that before long. Sorry you have to deal with that.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am so very, very sorry; that is a devastatingly sad thing. to have to do. Our son and DIL just lost two of their very beloved long time dogs which were our "grand-dogs" it is a heartbreaking loss.

It is too bad your wife needed to go with you and I hope it went well considering the dynamics. Our DIL is a Vet Tech and she has shared that the Vet offices will go to great lengths to do what is best for the family when euthanasia is necessary. Hope that happened for you and your wife.

If she is not aware the dog is not coming home, perhaps she will be satisfied with the idea that it had to stay at the vets for care.

I send my condolences to you on your loss.

J.

• ghphotog

Ended up bringing my DW in to the process at the last minute. It was very emotional but she did better than I expected but she still sad when she thinks about it. It was the right thing to do for both my DW and the dog. Now I don't have to try and remember not to tell her or make excuses that the dog died when she would've began noticing she's gone.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry you had to do this, but glad it went better than expected.

• ghphotog

Yes but for several days she was very upset about not missing the funeral. She harped on that for a few days. I picked the ashes up, put them on the mantle with a picture and that seems to settled that down for now.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Sorry for your loss. Our canine pets are such stress relievers and so very hard to give up. May time heal your heart.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more