Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Homeless Elderly

Jo C.
Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

i saw this report regarding the Homeless Elderly; it certainly presents something that one does not hear about:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seniors-flooding-homeless-shelters-cant-162941381.html

It is stunning to me that this has not been a significant publicized part of the dynamics re the homeless population issues. it is a significant issue within a significant issue.

How grateful for the roofs over our heads and for the food in our cupboards and so, so much more.

J.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I have always thought of myself as being fortunate, and every so often something comes up to verify that. Thanks for the link.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I just got to read the story. It's an absolute sin that people have to live like that in this country, which is considered very wealthy. And there doesn't seem to be a viable solution to it. Just hope you don't wind up there.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I just read the story. I had worked in a food ministry in a large city in Tennessee, Murfreesboro. The ministry FEED AMERICA FIRST ,was located in what I called homeless ally, The room at the inn on one side and salvation army on the other side the railroad tracks inbetween and the greenway walking path behind. I witnessed people living in cars in summer heat they would break the windows in abandoned cars and winter I would see them badly clothed shivering. They would come saying they would work for food, I would give them something to eat, usually not a great meal but something, I would try to get to know there story, alcohol, gambling, a sickness, then homeless. Most stuck in some sort of vice.

Society as a whole has a pair of blinders on.

I wrote a poem about this.

It is written from the viewpoint of a homeless person.

I woke again this morning

The world my eyes now see

And those that pass by

The signs they do not see

By bones protrude within

Your gaze goes way from

My bowels they are as empty

As empty as can be

Oh God where have you put them

Those with eyes to see

With hands that help the needy

And feet that do not flee

They give my hope and sustenance

And faith and sight to see

For Jesus lives within me

You feed Him too you see.

I wrote this about 20yrs ago and thought it was for a person that had presented about food insecurity at a church conference, so I printed it off and gave it to him.

But I pondered about it and thought it was for the church, but I pondered it more and thought it was for me.

That's when dw and I started a food ministry called Gods Garden, which grew into a church feeding program that my home church still does every week going on 15yrs now, we had to back out for obvious reasons, I still help maintain the box truck. Food ministry is very hard work but very rewarding. Oh course there are people who take advantage of it, but it was and is still is mostly about the elderly, the poor the maimed and the lame.

Everybody has a part and from my viewpoint it's a call to those who believe, but because that call isn't answered the goverment has become something it wasn't originally created for, imho.

Let me make it clear this isn't a political post.

A lot of people would take issues with the name Feed America First. They would say there are hungry people in Africa or wherever, they thought it wasn't right. Let me say we gleaned millions and millions of pounds of food that would have gone to waste. I personally have picked up hundreds of thousands of pounds of bread, because it was almost out of date. Every Monday I would pick up 10,000 pounds and sometimes double or triple that three times a week. Anyway I really got sick of people taking issue with the name and had vowed that the next person who said something, I was gonna empty my wallet and tell them to do something about. That never happened, I was eally worried It was gonna happen when I had a lot of money in my wallet.

Jo I am greatful for everything and know how good I have it.

It is a thought provoking article highlighting a growing problem of orpan adults. Which is why I have tried to secure my wifes care. I know it is being highlighted in churches as they age out. Will the church be able to teach?

Stewart

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited May 2023

Good and kindly work, Stewart; you have touched many lives. It sometimes seems as though it is like trying to hold back the tide; but every touch of help and kindness counts so much for those who receive the grace.

I am aware that putting mentally ill people out of care and onto the streets is a problem issue and is a lack in our society considering the outcome. Drugs and alcohol also have a large impact especially on the growing homeless "younger" population.

However; for me, the worst of it all are the very elderly homeless - some in their 80's and some with dementia and also for those in wheelchairs that cannot do for themselves suffering lack of all things and some are incontinent. Shelters are unable to accommodate their needs and they do not fit NH parameters much of the time and they tend to need locked units due to wandering and where are they going to find that sort of housing and interventions in the numbers needed not to mention payment issues. Can you imagine being in one's 70's and 80's and being on the street without the mental acuity to manage for yourself and in all weather?

It is such a huge problem for the elderly homeless that I cannot even fathom where to start to have the very at risk elderly brought to relief and housing for these high risk elderly men and women; especially for those with dementia who are an even larger challenge. Many if not most of that homeless very elderly population are not able to coordinate or meet their own care needs or advocate for themselves, they need others who know to do that for them. There seems to be such a huge black hole for the very elderly homeless population and it seems it has a revolving door at the other end. For those who are helping this population as much as possible, there are not enough words to say a deep thank you; it must be such a difficult job. Yet; for each very elderly person helped to care, it must be very gratifying for those who made it possible.

I have special place in my heart for the very elderly as well as for children. The article in the link brought it up to the fore for me again.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney