Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shave and no haircut

tigersmom
tigersmom Member Posts: 196
100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I know I should count my blessings that my husband is still willing to shower daily and still able to shave himself every other day. But I have hit a brick wall on the haircut. He has curly hair (not much on top) and it has been cut for years by a woman he really likes. I got him to go in November, and since then, he has flat-out refused. The whole issue has become entangled with the cut-your-hair edicts of the '60s in his mind. I am guessing this resistance is common, but I'm not sure what to do. Do I buy scissors or clippers and attempt to do it myself? (My own Covid-era bang trim was only so-so.) He occasionally takes a scissors to it himself, to not great effect. And what about the eyebrows, ears and nose? He is a handsome guy, still, and it troubles me that he is starting to look kind of raggedy. Or do I just give up and let it grow? Would love to hear how others have tackled this problem.

Comments

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Tigersmom,

My DH has curly hair also plus his ears are uneven since he is deaf in his right ear and it is flat to his head, unlike the left ear that is shaped to catch sound. I’ve been cutting his hair for a couple of decades and I just dove right in to the task with no idea what I was doing. The first time cutting I said ‘OOPS,’ and he said don’t ever say that when your cutting my hair. I still do some OOPS, but I don’t say it. He grew a beard 12 years ago and I was having to groom that as well as his mustache. We agreed to shave off his beard about 8 to 12 months ago. He has thick dark curly hair with very little gray even though he is 77. I bought him a new electric razor and he shaves often enough. He is a nice looking man also, but can get pretty scruffy at times. The hair cutting kits should have a DVD with instructions. I never looked at them, but think I probably should have. His brows are unruly but I just take the scissors to them. He started to bite his mustache when it got too long. Usually I just even it up with the scissors. I think you could do the job if that would solve the problem, unless a pony tail style would suffice.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Any chance you can get the lady who was cutting his hair to come to the house?

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Once I start offering to cut DH's hair he goes to the barber shop. I would watch a youtube and try it myself if he didn't go.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Try to get the woman who cut his hair before to come to the house. If that doesn't work, and he won't let you cut his hair, I'd say just let it go. If it's not hurting anything, you don't need the added stress. You will get used to it. In today's world, just about anything is acceptable when it comes to hair styles.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi, all. Thank you for your suggestions. Denise and Ed, his haircutter actually did volunteer to come to the house, but he does not remember her. I was afraid she would make the trip and he still would refuse the haircut. Maybe that was a mistake. The next time she is back in town, I think I will ask her to do that. If that doesn't work, I think I will be purchasing a kit as Valerie suggested. And watching some YouTube videos. Sigh.

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes

Oh the things we as caregivers learn on this journey! So far DH is ok going to the barber for a haircut ,thank God, but is not so great about showering! UGH! He’s come to think that shaving is a shower! Well at least the shaving cream smells good so as a result so does he for a while! Pick our”battles” . Good luck on earning your hair cutting degree! Quite sure you will be great!

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

As time goes on you'll learn to not sweat the small stuff. If he still bathes and shaves you're lucky. Long hair is really in style so maybe he wants a different look.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited May 2023

I started cutting my DH and sister’s hair at the beginning of the Covid lockdown. It was much easier than I expected it to be and so I’ve just continued. I’ve tried a couple types of clippers over the years and could never get the hang of them. So I always use scissors. My DH has straight hair so it’s not too difficult. Start slow. Cut off just a small amount, comb it, and see how it looks. If ok, take off a little more until you get it to where you want it. We do it after a shower or I use a spray bottle on clean hair. Sometimes I do most of it one day and finish it the next. If you do a little at a time, even if you screw up a little, it won’t take long to grow back. He is used to me doing it, so he doesn’t protest. He has a beard which I also cut with a scissors. I trim his mustache with a small scissors. That’s the most challenging, to get it all the same length without cutting his lip. I use an electric trimmer for the hair on his neck.

Going slow and taking off only a little at a time is the key. Once you get the hang of it, it’s easy.

I also cut our two Maltipoo’s hair.

Sometimes when i’m feeling down I add up all the money we’ve saved on haircuts over the past few years.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

My DH has cut his own hair most of his life. As he went bald on top, he started shaving his head and it looked fine. Then with AD, he forgot that he shaved his head and let his hair grow out a bit and does periodically cut it - rather haphazardly. Now, every couple of weeks he’ll tell me that it’s amazing but his hair doesn’t grow anymore! He forgets that he has cut it and believes that it just doesn’t grow. I just agree that it is pretty incredible.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more