Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another Milestone In Our Journey

Joe C.
Joe C. Member Posts: 944
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

DW has been in MC for 18 months and although she is well cared for, the long slow progression continues to rob her of ability to do the the simplest things. In recent months her ability to feed herself has declined significantly. The staff at the MC helps her with eating & I schedule some visits at mealtime to help as well. This decline prompted me to start thinking about when hospice should get involved. I talked with my caregiver support group facilitator, the MC head nurse and my stepdaughter and, although DW is very healthy other than the AD, I decided to request a hospice evaluation. Hospice evaluated her this week and she qualified for hospice services. Initially she will get a dedicated aid twice a week at mealtimes, a visit from an RN once a week, visits from a social worker and a clergy member. They will evaluate her need for possible additional days of services over the coming weeks. They will also start providing her incontinence supplies. It was a difficult decision to request the evaluation because it an acknowledgment of the inevitable but at this point anyway additional services is a positive for her continued care.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh, Joe. I understand what this does to your heartstrings and feel for you. You have always been a bit ahead of me on this journey and i follow your experiences with interest and concern. Glad you did the right thing but sorry for it at the same time my friend.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I know it’s hard, but this helps you feel that she’s being well cared for.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Joe,

I am sorry to read this, but glad that your DW will get extra help. My DH had been hand fed and required total physical assistance for all ADL’s for about a year before he passed. He was probably a candidate for Hospice for some time before it was suggested (On a Monday, and he died on Friday evening.) The few days of Hospice services were wonderful; I would encourage anyone to request an evaluation and to accept services sooner rather than later. I hope your continued journey, although sad, is smooth.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Joe, I'm sorry it got to this point, and I know it's hard. But there are some positives. You will both have more hands on care, just about everything will be paid for, and she can always come out of hospice if you decide to do that. We'll keep you both in our prayers.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Joe I follow you as well and you have always encouraged me. Your very attentive to your wifes care and you've made me think about getting a hospice evaluation. My wife has declined quite a bit physically. She still feeds her self but her movements are slow and choppy. It's so hard to know when. Thank you my friend and my prayers continue for you both every day.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks for positing this, Joe. Our journeys have paralleled one another, although my DW is still at home. We all fully appreciate the implications of bringing in hospice. As hard as the admission is of the apparent progression, the extra assistance both now and in the future will be welcome.

My DW has not been feeding herself for several years now. I had her evaluated for hospice over a year again, when she lost significant weight, and they did not qualify her. I know different hospice agencies can reach varying decisions. ..

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more