Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A good day

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

We had a old friend over today for lunch. I kept it simple when usually I would overdo it and stress myself out getting ready for company.

My DH was anxious before she arrived - started asking if he could stay with me and I was going go away without him. I redirected by getting him to sweep the floor. I decided to focus on keeping him (and myself) calm and not fret over cleaning my office or the bedroom (it was the first visit to our new house and I knew a "tour" would be expected).

My DH was engaged and chatty. My friend was kind and patient. I enjoyed a visit with a good friend and didn't worry that I was being judged for how I'm caring for him.

I consider it a victory for me and my husband. I'm learning to let some things go and to find joy in little things. And he seemed to have fun and told me "you're right, your friend is nice."

His cognitive tank was on E after the visit but it was a good day.

Comments

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Aww, I'm thrilled for you 😊

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Sounds like the day was a win for everyone:) Hope you have more of them!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That's the way to make a win! I'm happy for both of you.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

This is a perfect example of living in the moment, of concentrating on today. It sounds like your friend’s visit went very well and you all had a nice time. It was probably very good for your DH to socialize as well, even though his tank was empty by the end of the day. You reminded me that we need to do more of that kind of thing. BTW, what I could see of your new home looks beautiful!

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

What an inspiration you are. You've got skills and know how to use them. Socialization is a big thing and can be very helpful for you both. Wow how long have you been in your new home. I moved 2 months ago and just found the legs for the TV. It was mounted on the wall before but I left the mounts at the old home. I still have bins and boxes everywhere. I long to downsize the stuff soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Stewart

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad for you. Sweet picture.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

@toolbeltexpert we're coming up on 10 months and I still live with bins and boxes everywhere! @ImMaggieMae thank you

Thanks everyone for your support. For every day like yesterday, there are at least two that aren't so good. I was just so pleased that it all came together.

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes

Thanks for posting. Reminds me I have to live on and so does DH Think I may invite a couple over next weekend. Thanks

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more