Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help

My dh was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s after the doctor was convinced it was CJD. Although The Alzheimer’s diagnosis is devastating, I’m thankful that it’s not CJD. I’m 51 years old and he 62. His decline started about two years ago. He is a business owner and we are about to lose the business. He hasn’t earned a paycheck in over two years (just taking a minimal draw $2000 a month) which is about to stop because I believe it’s going to go bankrupt. I’m so scared. We have a 16 year old daughter and I have a teachers salary. I just applied for SSD but not sure if he will get it. I feel so lost, scared, and alone on this journey.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Dear Sunshine222,

I'm so sorry that you are having this experience. My first thought is that you need to speak with your attorney about the business and your other assets. You need the attorney to help you through the bankruptcy and other issues. (Ive been through this myself). Then, armed with that knowledge, go to an elder law attorney and get the information you need to proceed.

This is scary and stressful, but information is valuable and you need it asap. Can your husband sign documents? even an "x" is acceptable for most .

Please stay with us, we are all in one big messy boat together.

• Sunshine222
    Sunshine222 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Yes he can sign.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited May 2023

Sunshine222, welcome aboard, but sorry you need to be here. The forums can help you a lot, and you will learn more about the disease here than you will from a doctor. Some people here are dealing with early onset, and they can help with different things. Others have been in just about any situation you are in, and they will also help. It will help if we knew where you call home. Yes it's scary, but we can help make it less so.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

ttt

• sam2021
    sam2021 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I feel you.. I’m 52 and my husband is 59, he was diagnosed 2 years ago. It’s not an easy journey but I’m trying my best. My kids are grown up and my biggest support.

i lost my companion who was very loving and caring .. now he shows no emotion.

I have my good days and depressed days.. hoping to get better with time..

looking for some positive and encouraging vibes …

hang in there !!!

• Sunshine222
    Sunshine222 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

I’m so sorry!! This stinks :(

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia